Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #101
Misplaced Buckeye

Default Re: Sooo . . .What do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post
The only way I see a "modular" Ogre rulebook working cleanly and effectively is if entire Sections are isolated / replaced, instead of individual rules or pages. The nice thing is that none of them are that long...IIRC the longest [as of the Battlebox PDF] is 3.00 / Units, at 4 1/4 pages.

But it's still one of those things that will be hard to justify, since we're talking about inserting page breaks before each section and checking how they flow around vignettes / sidebar placement, and maintaining a second master copy for 'modular' use [as adding 7 additional pages would increase the size of the printed books by 20%, and with it, cost]...I dunno if it's practical.

That said, I do like the idea of some sort of binder...like one of the professional "designated note-taker" things, and that may be enough to get me off my tuches and take advantage of the "one copy for personal use" license on PDFs. :D I can always mask with blank paper and throw it in the copier to get clean-ish breaks that way, if I want dividers per section.
That works Andy. Just like chapters in a book. The quick start rules would be in a section by itself( with a proviso that the LRB has precedence). And many of us would add our own house rules for certain sections very easily.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #102
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Yeah, this form essentially requires a 'one rule per page' approach, where at most you put a couple of subrules with it that still leave room for expansion if need be. That said, what would work well is an electronic version of this. That is, take the Ogre rulebook, put the rules one per page or one minor point per page (that is, all the X.Y.Z rules, where X and Y are the same) plus all the appropriate section cross-links. Layout is handled by some minimal styling and updates can be incorporated easily. Maybe even allowing individuals to add their own custom stuff.

That said, it's probably a lot of work for minimal or no return given that the rulebook is freely downloadable, but it might be something SJG would allow as a fan app if someone got permission for it first. I'd seriously consider it, except that I know absolutely nothing about mobile programming, and while I could probably make it into a database-enabled website I'm not sure how practical that would be...
I think Andy's idea of the one rule section per divider would work. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't count how many times I reach for my tablet and it's dead.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #103
ColBosch

I don't like the idea at all. I think it's an invitation to rules bloat and doesn't add anything to the game. At this point the rules are finished, so any changes would be simple errata for printing mistakes.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 03:53 PM   #104
Knockman

There's a few other gaming companies I get stuff from where their wargames have 'Living Rulebooks'. They tend to be hosted online and available as PDFs for downloading, are kept up to date by the designers, and feed in clarifications or changes so that FAQs and Errata are easily absorbed. Speaking to one designer before, it saves a lot of time if/when the rulebook is physically reprinted, as it tends to be the most current version.

I would suggest that it could work here for Ogre, especially if more GEV-style/Battlesuit-style material starts to get published.

E-mail Contact: tiffingames@gmail.com

BGG Link: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamee...ponsored-count

Update: 8th June 2018 - officially formatted S&TO Rules Version 3 now available on this website.
Knockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 05:17 PM   #105
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
I think Andy's idea of the one rule section per divider would work. I don't know about the rest of you but I can't count how many times I reach for my tablet and it's dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
I don't like the idea at all. I think it's an invitation to rules bloat and doesn't add anything to the game. At this point the rules are finished, so any changes would be simple errata for printing mistakes.
And I'm trying to stay pretty Swiss here. Above is what I think would take for it to happen from a technical standpoint, but there are a lot of logistical hurdles that would need overcome, not to mention considering how likely the rules are to change.

Though I think I am going to put together a 'travel kit'...a rulebooks, scenario books, a handful of cheat sheets, etc, all in a folio...because that's a brilliant idea, modular rulebook or no modular rulebook.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #106
sparky00

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAmishStig View Post

Though I think I am going to put together a 'travel kit'...a rulebooks, scenario books, a handful of cheat sheets, etc, all in a folio...because that's a brilliant idea, modular rulebook or no modular rulebook.
I have precisely such a book - 1" 3-ring binder w/ rulebooks, scenarios, cheat sheets, reference cards etc all in document protectors. It has a printout of The Ogre Book cover on the front, pencil pouches for overlays/ counters etc.

Just like D&D players used to have 35+ years ago...
sparky00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:56 PM   #107
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
Used to have? :-)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:08 PM   #108
Tim Kauffman

I use different size Binders for different OGREverse stuff depending on the topic since the amount of pages will vary and use the archival safe clear vinyl sheet sleeves. I print my sheets out on 110 paper. It's overkill but I like the smoother surface and there is no bleed through.

Rules go in one, Scenarios in another, OGREverse Timeline and history stuff in another and Fanmade stuff in another for example. I've been playing around over the years sorting and compiling for the "ultimate" Binder/ Binders (I don't think there is one really, which keeps it fun) but it's a ongoing process as new stuff is published and I make my own edited stuff from the official source material.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:43 AM   #109
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
I use different size Binders for different OGREverse stuff depending on the topic since the amount of pages will vary and use the archival safe clear vinyl sheet sleeves. I print my sheets out on 110 paper. It's overkill but I like the smoother surface and there is no bleed through.

Rules go in one, Scenarios in another, OGREverse Timeline and history stuff in another and Fanmade stuff in another for example. I've been playing around over the years sorting and compiling for the "ultimate" Binder/ Binders (I don't think there is one really, which keeps it fun) but it's a ongoing process as new stuff is published and I make my own edited stuff from the official source material.
I love the concept. I suppose a good quality Clear View that comes in various thicknesses for where I was heading. Drew this is what I mean, this is another option for the new player to build his library the same way a MTG type players builds a card library.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #110
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky00 View Post
I have precisely such a book - 1" 3-ring binder w/ rulebooks, scenarios, cheat sheets, reference cards etc all in document protectors. It has a printout of The Ogre Book cover on the front, pencil pouches for overlays/ counters etc.

My problem is that I have a 4" 3 ring with 6 pockets built in and it's maxed. I've already spilt over into two 2inch binders and more happening.