Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 03-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #71
swordtart

Default Re: Combat Garage Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Not sure where I saw but Wheel Ramps are available singly at 100lbs & $150 each . Three are needed to load a Trike onto a vehicle .

I do think Assault Ramps should be available for Flatbeds : many car and construction vehicle Transporters in the UK have motorised rear ramps these days . Normally controlled by a heavy leaded hand device near the ramp , but easily converted to open from Cab or remotely ( ERIS perhaps ) . Okay they take about 5-10 seconds to drop rather than the Assault Ramps 5 phases , but sure that can be adjusted for gameplay .
Are those flatbeds, or are they van trailers that have all but the rear-armour/assualt ramp removed ;)

The loading ramp on many vehicles is not quite the same as an assualt ramp. An assault ramp is vertical until deployed (like a drawbridge). Most of the flatbed ramps I have see fold flat onto the bed (or slide out from underneath the bed) and would therefore not provide the armour function. I have see ones that stay upright, but they tend to be ventilated wheel ramps. I suspect wind resistance is the main reason you wouldn't want a big flat plat sticking vertically up on the back of your flatbed.

If you want automatic ramps on a flatbed, just pay the extra cost for wheelramps and a winch and handwave it away.

Interestingly according to the rules you can make an assault ramp with a single point of armour. Are we really convinced that an 8ft x 8ft sheet that weighs as little as 20lb could support the weight of a vehicle? Do we assume therefore that the 100lb includes the supporting structure mechanism. Now I woudl have my doubts that 100lb of material spread over an 8ft x 8ft panel would support a vehicle either, escecially as we are aying that a wheel ramp needs to be 100lb per wheel. This assumes that it is all support and nothing allocated for the riasing and lowering mechanism. I would consider flipping the rules between side doors and ramps (doors weigh 100lb, ramps weigh 500lb)

I think as written, the assault ramp should require a minimum level of armour before it can support the weight of a vehicle (and if it got damaged it's ability to support a vehicles weight would be reduced).

Dig too far in CW and the logic often falls apart (it is a beer and pretzels game that "just grow'd").
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 02:29 PM   #72
Pentalarc

Okay, just realized a major issue that has been causing me problems, and apparently causing me to annoy people. NOt all of the designs are always showing up in the searches and browse. As such, some vehicles appear missing from the list when they are not.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:23 PM   #73
Racer

There's a few odd things going on at the moment - Armour jumping to different values when saved , graphic still showing from previous vehicle/version on builder screen etc .

It also appears that some of my saved designs have also disappeared & are unable to be retrieved by email link .
I thought I'd just used up my allocated slots, but even after deleting 10+ saves , 3/4 new saves are missing .
Not every recent save is missing but as you say very annoying . I'll look through main Stock Vehicles to see if any of my designs are no longer there .
I take it it's okay to resubmit missing designs if I've still got them saved ?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #74
WilliamTetley

I noticed this while using Combat Garage to make a cycle for a play-by-Email game using the Compendium rules. I had a lot of accesories, including a brushcutter. My brushcutter was present in the design, paid for and weight included, but was not mentioned in the walkaround.
WilliamTetley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 AM   #75
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTetley View Post
I noticed this while using Combat Garage to make a cycle for a play-by-Email game using the Compendium rules. I had a lot of accesories, including a brushcutter. My brushcutter was present in the design, paid for and weight included, but was not mentioned in the walkaround.
Yes it's been doing that with Spoilers & Airdams as well . Save your vehicle to your saves , exit & shut down browser , open Combat Garage again , load your vehicle , make sure all parts are listed , THEN submit as stock vehicle . That should then work . A pain I know , but building with CB is all about finding ways that work .
Old 03-22-2016, 01:49 PM   #76
Herod

I just wanted to post a big thanks to ammulder.

I am prepping for my big annual event, and it would be a huge chore without the ol' Combat Garage in my corner.

Wherever you are... thanks!

H
Herod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 03:18 PM   #77
Racer

At the moment there appears to be a problem with most accessories that weigh something : IF you remove them , their weight & sometimes cost STAY in the stat lines . Even saving & reloading doesn't seem to work & to delete them , you have to start from scratch to make sure they're gone .
Not a major problem but bloody annoying if you've spent ages on a large vehicle ...
Old 03-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #78
juris

Yes, let us all take a moment to stop bitching and say thank you to AM :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herod View Post
I just wanted to post a big thanks to ammulder.

I am prepping for my big annual event, and it would be a huge chore without the ol' Combat Garage in my corner.

Wherever you are... thanks!

H
juris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #79
Racer

Sorry .....
Old 03-28-2016, 11:31 AM   #80
ammulder

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
At the moment there appears to be a problem with most accessories that weigh something : IF you remove them , their weight & sometimes cost STAY in the stat lines . Even saving & reloading doesn't seem to work & to delete them , you have to start from scratch to make sure they're gone .
Not a major problem but bloody annoying if you've spent ages on a large vehicle ...
Just to be completely clear, can you give some examples of accessories that cause this issue?

And when you say that accessories stay in the "stat lines" do you mean the cost and weight along the top of the screen in the app, or do you mean in the PDF that you can generate?
ammulder is offline   Reply With Quote