Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-21-2022, 08:21 PM   #1
DarkDice

Default Magic blocking vs missile

I have some magic spells: deflect missile, block, catch missile and return missile. If an enemy has a ranged attack targeting me, am I allowed to know if the attack roll was successful before deciding if I should use one of my blocking spells or do I cast the blocking spell as the missile attack is announced? I'm curious because if their attack would miss, I don't have to cast a blocking spell.

Same question but with the 'block' spell. Am I allowed to wait and see if my attackers attack roll fails before casting the block spell or do I have to announce my block spell before I know if their attack would succeed or fail?

Hope my questions make sense lol.

DarkDice
DarkDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 08:36 PM   #2
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Magic blocking vs missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDice View Post
I have some magic spells: deflect missile, block, catch missile and return missile. If an enemy has a ranged attack targeting me, am I allowed to know if the attack roll was successful before deciding if I should use one of my blocking spells or do I cast the blocking spell as the missile attack is announced? I'm curious because if their attack would miss, I don't have to cast a blocking spell.

Same question but with the 'block' spell. Am I allowed to wait and see if my attackers attack roll fails before casting the block spell or do I have to announce my block spell before I know if their attack would succeed or fail?

Hope my questions make sense lol.

DarkDice
Blocking Spells are Active Defenses. You ae never called on to make an Active Defense until you've been successfully attacked.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:37 PM   #3
Eric Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Blocking Spells are Active Defenses. You are never called on to make an Active Defense until you've been successfully attacked.
And active defenses are not allowed if the attacker critically succeeds on an attack roll so you cannot use a magical defense in such a case... (B556) (So it must be resolved before you can choose an active defense!)
Old 05-21-2022, 10:52 PM   #4
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Funk View Post
And active defenses are not allowed if the attacker critically succeeds on an attack roll so you cannot use a magical defense in such a case... (B556) (So it must be resolved before you can choose an active defense!)
That is what Luck is for...

a critical sure but 3 crit rolls in a row...not bloody likely.