Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
mehrkat

Default GURPS character sheet (GCS)

Hi All,

I'm starting to play around with the freeware program GURPS Character Sheet (GCS). I was wondering if there is a forum somewhere for that program.

For some reason it works sloooowwwwwly on my computer and I'm trying to see if its a known issue that has fixes I could try.

I tried google searching for it and I can find the wiki but there doesn't appear to be a troubleshooting guide only the bug reporter and I couldn't find a "what do I do if it runs slowly" section.
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Nymdok

Default Re: GURPS character sheet (GCS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
Hi All,

I'm starting to play around with the freeware program GURPS Character Sheet (GCS). I was wondering if there is a forum somewhere for that program.

For some reason it works sloooowwwwwly on my computer and I'm trying to see if its a known issue that has fixes I could try.

I tried google searching for it and I can find the wiki but there doesn't appear to be a troubleshooting guide only the bug reporter and I couldn't find a "what do I do if it runs slowly" section.
GCS is a great app, if its running slowly, Id suspect your java first thing. Run update, lather rinse repeat. Note that Ive run it under Sun Java and the Linux Java-ettes (IceT etc)

If your ARE already running the latest version of Java, then you may want to look at your used memory and processor load and find out whats going on. That app normally runs zippy everywhere.

Nymdok
p.s. Im not the developer nor am I affiliated with him, but I am an avid user of that program and adore it.
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
mehrkat

Thanks Nymdok.

I'm starting the painful process of trying to figure out what I can do to increase performance as other programs occasionally (but pretty rarely act weird).
Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
OldSam

I'd also say it's probably an issue with java...

In my experience the program only works well with the original Sun/Oracle-Java (JRE6 or JRE7), the pure open source versions made problems in my tests - so be sure to try Sun/Oracle.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
mehrkat

Hi OldSam,

thanks for your thoughts. I downloaded the runtime environment from Oracle.

It helped slightly.

I'm doing a little bit of research and my next plan of attack is to see if somehow my virus protection is interacting badly with Java

Then its the video card (sigh)
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
For some reason it works sloooowwwwwly on my computer
I recently noticed a significant performance and reliability boost from Minecraft when I switched to the 64-bit version of Java. If you have a 64-bit machine and OS, you might see if you're running a 32-bit version, and if so, try the 64-bit version.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
mehrkat

alas I'm running a 32 bit machine.

Still fighting the good fight. It does appear to somehow be related to my graphics card.

thanks to all for the suggestions.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #8
mehrkat

found the culprit.

My video card (Geoforce FX 5200) hates JAVA. Found it by trying to reinstall my Nvidia drivers and accidentally uninstalled my video card and can't figure out how to reinstall so using the old windows graphics card.

On the good side Character sheet zips right along now. On the bad side its because I can't figure out how to reinstall my video card.

Going to take advantage of my temporary downgrade and review the data files I want to look at before trying to tackle the problem of reinstalling my graphics card but in a way that likes JAVA.

(or at all. at all is becoming tempting) :)
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM   #9
sunstone

New Graphic driver?

Take an official one:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Scan.aspx?lang=en-us
sunstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
mehrkat

Well I only have one monitor so when I downloaded what I thought was the nvdia driver the program driver install won't detect the graphics card to install it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I hope to truly solve the problem in a few days but for the moment I can deal with the issue while I actually make use of the program which seems pretty sweet but I could never get to work right.

Tags
gcs, gurps character sheet, program