Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
ShdwWolf7

Default Programmer Errors

This is for small, annoying errors in the GCA that usually have an easy fix, even for non-programmers like me.

I figured this might be a good idea, althogh the moderators may disagree... :)

To start, I fount that the spell Snow Jet had the prerequisites (according to GCA) of Water, Jet Freeze, when it should read Water Jet, Freeze.

The 1st and last rule in roleplaying... is the GM.
ShdwWolf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Programmer Errors

That is a data file error rather than a programmer error. Most of the specific information about GURPS that GCA uses is in the data files for individual GURPS books, rather than in the program code. It's done this way because the data files are much easier to change.

EDIT: Lots of people have worked on GCA data files, while all the programming has been done by one man, AFAIK.

Last edited by johndallman; 03-08-2013 at 01:53 AM.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Make sure you're fully updated with the latest Program Patch and Data Update. If this error was in there it is long gone now.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #4
ShdwWolf7

Oh, I keep myself updated. My apologies to the Great Programmer for any unintended insults...

Well, whoever flubbed it, or any other potential error (that's not the only one I've found, just the one I found when I decided to post this), it can be fixed. I just thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for these minor errors to be identified so that The Powers That Be might condescend to fix them. Or perhaps condescend to squash me like the annoying bug I am...

Old 03-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #5
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShdwWolf7 View Post
Oh, I keep myself updated.
You seem to have missed Eric's second point (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Make sure you're fully updated with the latest Program Patch and Data Update. If this error was in there it is long gone now.
That error is not in the current data update (verified). So, if you're seeing it, then you are not, in fact, properly updated. That does, unfortunately, happen from time to time for various reasons, some of which are not well understood; the GCA4 FAQ might be useful in this case.

As for reporting bugs in GCA and/or errors in the data files, yes, of course, please do so.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)

Last edited by tmedwards; 03-09-2013 at 06:24 AM.
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

To emphasize what Thomas said, I checked the data file after you posted this and the error does not exist in the GURPS Magic data file. This means that you are either not fully updated or that you are using a non-standard data file which is modifying that spell. Now, in some cases "non-standard" could mean another official data file, but AFAIK none of the official files modify the Snow Jet spell in such a way that it could cause this issue.

As for file date, I started including a last modified date in the description of data files a couple updates ago. If you go to:
Tools -> Options -> Data Sets (tab) -> Change and Load Files
You can select specific data files to see their description. If the first thing in the description is not a date then you definitely have an old version of the file loaded. If it is a date then Magic should read 04/27/2012, anything else is from a previous update.

Also, as Thom said there have been instances where, even though people have run the update, the files were not actually updated. This generally happens when Windows Administrative privileges are trying to protect the files in the Program Files folder so creates a Virtual Store or simply does not allow files to be updated at all. There's instructions in the FAQ for removing the Virtual Store, properly updating, etc.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-10-2013 at 01:56 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #7
ShdwWolf7

Big foot o' GM just squished me...

Danke, oh Great Ones :)

Tags
errors, mistakes, program, programmers, programming errors