Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-16-2018, 12:11 PM   #31
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Link an historical character to the cited advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
He doesn't need a high IQ per se, but the OP isn't looking for how to optimize and normalize the write-up for a character.
I'm not suggesting how to optimise and normalise and him. I'm asking in what way did he demonstrate the breadth of intellectual brilliance necessary for a high GURPS IQ? Showing comparatively narrow brilliance isn't enough to qualify for a high GURPS IQ.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:25 PM   #32
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post

Since Appearance (Transcendent) is equivalent to attributes at fifteen (IQ 15, ST 15, etc.)
This isn't really true. Each Appearance level is roughly equivalent to one shift in descriptive terms (p. B14), so Average is "average" and equivalent to 10, Attractive is "above average" and equivalent to 11-12, Handsome/Beautiful is "exceptional" and equivalent to 13-14, and Very Handsome/Very Beautiful is "amazing" and equivalent to 15+. Attribute scores above 20 are possible but typically reserved for godlike beings, and Transcendent is typically reserved for "angels, deities, and the like" . . . so I'd quantify Very Handsome/Very Beautiful as equivalent to 15-20 and put Transcendent on a par with 21+. If you prefer more regular intervals, make Average equivalent to 9-11, Attractive equivalent to 12-14, Handsome/Beautiful equivalent to 15-17, and Very Handsome/Very Beautiful equivalent to 18-20.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #33
smurf
Banned

Intuition

Possibly Lenin:

1902 split from the RSDLP to form the Bolsheviks
1905 to recognise the power of an abilities of the Moscow Soviets
1914 anti war position
1917 April Thesis
1917 Bread Peace and Land - all power to the Soviets
1917 Finland's Independence

Of course some may argue he wasn't that intuitive but I suppose he could fail a few dice rolls.

The next 5 years until his death saw a grim war against the revolution and there may have been too many convulsions to say what was right or wrong.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #34
Alonsua
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
This isn't really true. Each Appearance level is roughly equivalent to one shift in descriptive terms (p. B14), so Average is "average" and equivalent to 10, Attractive is "above average" and equivalent to 11-12, Handsome/Beautiful is "exceptional" and equivalent to 13-14, and Very Handsome/Very Beautiful is "amazing" and equivalent to 15+. Attribute scores above 20 are possible but typically reserved for godlike beings, and Transcendent is typically reserved for "angels, deities, and the like" . . . so I'd quantify Very Handsome/Very Beautiful as equivalent to 15-20 and put Transcendent on a par with 21+. If you prefer more regular intervals, make Average equivalent to 9-11, Attractive equivalent to 12-14, Handsome/Beautiful equivalent to 15-17, and Very Handsome/Very Beautiful equivalent to 18-20.
Oh I see. I basically tried to infer a mathematical model in accordance with the following verifiable observations:

First. Every +1 in DX/IQ/HT translates into a bonus of +1 in each related skill.
Second. The attributes (ST/DX/IQ/HT) can reach a bonus of +5 that represents the maximum perfection (value 15).
Third. The androgyny modifier is based on the equation "(bonus with the gender that is attracted to yours + bonus with the gender that is not attracted to yours)/2 = bonus with both genders".
Fourth. The +5 androgyny bonus can be represented with the equation " (8+2)/2 = 5" which is the equivalent of appearance (transcendent).
Fifth. Five level charisma can be achieved by historical bests such as Joan of Arc.
Sixth. If five levels are possible for the attributes, they are also possible for the talents (let's eliminate the reaction bonus).

Conclusion:
If five levels are allowed for attributes, charisma and talents, five levels of appearance should also be possible, and since we lack a level between the first and the third, this forces us to create the second and implement the fifth (appearance transcendent) as within the human possibilities.

Pd.
If I'm honest the truth is that until a fortnight ago I was playing with the limitation of appearance (very beautiful), but it started to feel pretty weird because it seemed to lack a level between attractive and beautiful and to have few levels compared to the rest of the traits.

Last edited by Alonsua; 07-16-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:13 PM   #35
khorboth

Strength - Sultan Murad IV of the Ottoman Empire.

He would frequently wrestle several men at once. Historical accounts relate his "effortless" and "tireless" skill with his giant mace wielded in one hand. That mace survives today and weighs about 110 lbs.

DX - Bruce Lee. (History doesn't have to be that old, right?)

He had to dramatically slow his movements so they would be captured by the video cameras of his day. There are multiple accounts of him demonstrating his speed by telling a highly trained opponent exactly what punch he would use and then executing it faster than they could block. He'd then repeat this with the same punch, still faster than they could block even though they were prepared. This, I think goes beyond his (separately impressive) skill and into raw speed which is a product of DX.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #36
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
As far as high IQ is concerned, the two people I've seen proposed as examples of it are Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and John Stuart Mill. Mill may have been too narrowly focused on intellectual and scholarly qualities to fit the GURPS meaning of the expression (GURPS IQ ≠ "intelligence" or IQ), but Goethe is a plausible example: poet, playwright, novelist, scientific theorist, courtier, international traveller. . . .

For Eidetic Memory, Matteo Ricci, one of the first Jesuits to visit China, seems like a good example; when I researched him for Who's Who I read about his doing impressive memory feats.
How about Ralph Bagnold for intelligence? Scientist, explorer, innovative mechanic, and commando?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #37
acrosome

4. Helen?

And even then "Transcendent" seems unlikely for a mortal.

The problem with things like Intuition is that it's impossible to find an example that isn't easily explained by large number theory. With enough people wandering around someone is going to stumble onto a fortunate series of decisions. It's more of an argument for Luck, actually.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
4. Helen?

And even then "Transcendent" seems unlikely for a mortal.
I agree, and I reserve it to gods, divine servitors, and superbeings. Though a case might be made for Helen, who was the daughter of Zeus and Leda (or for Luthien Tinúviel, whose mother was Melian of the Maiar); perhaps a half-divine child might attain this level. I wouldn't grant it to an actual historical figure, though. The RAW don't quite forbid it, but they certainly suggest that the GM might do so.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #39
Alonsua
Banned

Lets do it Appearance (Maximum) instead of transcendent. The current target is to engineer characters with appearance (beautiful/handsome) who will then be genetically upgraded and bodysculpted to appearance (transcendent). However I want to know who do you consider to be the most beautiful/handsome people in the world.
Alonsua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #40
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonsua View Post
Lets do it Appearance (Maximum) instead of transcendent. The current target is to engineer characters with appearance (beautiful/handsome) who will then be genetically upgraded and bodysculpted to appearance (transcendent). However I want to know who do you consider to be the most beautiful/handsome people in the world.
No, sorry, that's just a handwavy excuse to do something that I think is excessive and wouldn't allow in one of my campaigns. I don't believe there are any realistic cases, not in the entirety of history.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote