Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
namada

Default Re: Help me pick a system for science fiction (GURPS vs Mythras/BRP vs Savage Worlds)

If you decide to go with GURPS, the Warriors & Rogues books for 3E could be used for templates. If you get the character software, you can get updated versions of those templates too.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:21 AM   #12
Almenac

Default Re: Help me pick a system for science fiction (GURPS vs Mythras/BRP vs Savage Worlds)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've gotten solid advice on how to simplify things and what books to use. I think I need to make some pregens for my group, run a test battle and see how it goes.

I also realized that I came off rude when I mentioned the declined support of GURPS. I didn't mean to be disrespectful and I really appreciate the active and friendly community here on the forums.

I know Kromm is working hard to keep the supplements flowing and he's doing an excellent job. I meant to refer to the strategic stance of SJG where they don't seem to be interested in giving GURPS that much resources and the supplements we get are short pdf's. I don't mind the pdf's, I think they're the future of rpgs and as long as there's services like Lulu I think everyone should be happy.

What I find a little problematic is that there are no big sourcebooks, supplements, campaign books or similar in the pipeline. Stuff like GURPS Zombies or the like, or adventure path -like books for the the various, pared-down lines. I've read some discussions about the situation on the forums and the blame is usually put on the bad economic place where rpgs are in general.

Now this is something I disagree with. There are a lot of companies of different sizes that put out the "big stuff" so to speak on regular basis (like Mongoose, Design Mechanism, FFG, Pinnacle). I'm not trying to start an argument here but there's clearly more at play here than just the sorry state of the industry.
Almenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:37 AM   #13
Ezra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almenac View Post
* Support has dwindled, the latest edition is 15 years old in 2019 and no plans for a new edition
I consider this a perk of the system. I don't like game systems that are constantly releasing new editions, thereby forcing me to go spend another fortune and reread tomes of boring rules I already had memorized in a previous edition (i.e. spell lists, etc.).
Ezra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #14
Refplace

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've gotten solid advice on how to simplify things and what books to use. I think I need to make some pregens for my group, run a test battle and see how it goes.
Adding to earlier advice I recommend you get the free combat cards. They help players remember what the maneuvers are till they get used to the system

Quote:
I also realized that I came off rude when I mentioned the declined support of GURPS. I didn't mean to be disrespectful and I really appreciate the active and friendly community here on the forums.
Not rude just your observation, but since its a common thought and one that actively hurts GURPS we have to correct that impression where we see it.

Quote:

What I find a little problematic is that there are no big sourcebooks, supplements, campaign books or similar in the pipeline. Stuff like GURPS Zombies or the like, or adventure path -like books for the the various, pared-down lines. I've read some discussions about the situation on the forums and the blame is usually put on the bad economic place where rpgs are in general.
This is a combination of market forces and author interest.
I am pretty confident GURPS has more settings than any other system.
Sure it has a lot more Third Edition than Fourth Edition but most of those can be converted over with very little work.
Fourth Edition has 10 original settings and 6 licensed settings.
Third Edition has over 21 original settings(some more are minisettings rolled into Infinite Worlds) and 26 licensed settings.
Correct me if I am wrong but I think thats a lot.
Now most of those settings have only one book each, and I can see some people thinking they need more which is valid. However they are supported by the core rules and lines like Action!, Dungeon Fantasy, and Monster Hunters as well as generic books like the Social Engineering series that apply to many settings, including a GMs custom setting.
Also the location and Adventure books can be dropped into many of them.

As for adventurer paths or such, if you mean railroady things where you start off here than go there, etc for several books there arent any for GURPS. But there are adventurers, in fact 3 more are planned to be published this year for Nordland by Douglas Cole.
What gets published is limited by what authors want to write, especially since most of GURPS authors are freelancers.
I think the real problem is perception of what is out there.Most companies have one rule system for one genre and make most of thier supplements to fit that one genre or even setting and that ficus provides a lot of support to one narrow thing. GURPS covers all genres so is far less focused and especially if your looking for support for your current genre or setting of interest it will look sparse.
However the toolkit approach means most books can be applied to most settings, instead of being enmeshed into specific ones.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote