Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
trayo

Default A question about charity I couldn't find the answer to:

Greetings programs!

I have a simple question about charity I couldn't find researching the internet or scrolling through the FAQ.

When it says that you have to give your cards to the lowest level player, does this mean the lowest level player (1-10, 10 being the winning level) or the lowest combat level player?

Friends and I have been playing by giving your cards to the lowest combat level player with the idea in mind that it's used to help keep the game balanced by giving the person with a low combat level a fighting chance.

My second question is regarding players purposely cheating in a game by skipping charity; is this allowed and are there any house rules for punishing players? I had a player skip charity three times by not announcing he had any more than five cards and nobody caught on for a few turns. The only thing we did to keep him in line was to yell at him to do charity for each one of his turns even if we knew he didn't have more than five cards.

In regards to cheating, is it acceptable to try and trick seasoned players by stating a card like announcing the Kneepads of Allure force a player to help you even though you're not the lower level player.

This one was my fault cause I was using it correctly for a few turns and then forgot that you had to be lower than the other player, but to be fair it was and accident and I wasn't trying to cheat on purpose.

Thanks in advance for the help.
trayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: A question about charity I couldn't find the answer to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayo View Post
When it says that you have to give your cards to the lowest level player, does this mean the lowest level player (1-10, 10 being the winning level) or the lowest combat level player?
It is the lowest-Level player, and the capital L means it's the strict Level, not the combat strength.

Quote:
My second question is regarding players purposely cheating in a game by skipping charity; is this allowed and are there any house rules for punishing players?
Intentional cheating is NEVER allowed. The rules don't prescribe a punishment because that's a matter for each group to decide, but at MY table, the punishment is "Go away and never return."

If folks have house rules they want to discuss, I'd ask them to please post them in the appropriate thread in the main Munchkin forum. House rules are explicitly outside the scope of the 101 forum.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:13 AM   #3
MunchkinMan

Quote:
In regards to cheating, is it acceptable to try and trick seasoned players by stating a card like announcing the Kneepads of Allure force a player to help you even though you're not the lower level player.
Andrew's essentially stated my stance on the cheating issue, but I want to correct this notion that only the lowest Level player can use the Kneepads of Allure. You can only force a player of a Level higher than yours to help you. That means that if you're in a 5-player game, your Level is 7, and the other players are 8, 7, 5, and 5, then only the Level 8 player can be forced to help you with the Kneepads of Allure. In that same basic situation, but where your Level was 6, then you could force either the Level 8 or the Level 7 player to help you.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

D'oh. Thanks, Erik. Total brain fart.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
trayo

Thanks for the answers guys! I need to go re-read the rules and watch out for those capital "L"'s!
trayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
cornixt
Banned

Intentional cheating in my games is punishable by Death (in the game, not real life). Keeps people honest.
cornixt is offline   Reply With Quote