Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #11
Mulsiphix

Default Re: Wildcard Magic, Please Help

Other questions;
  1. Do wildcard skills like Magic! have levels or is it a one time 24pt purchase?
  2. Do I need to have a level in the Magery advantage in order for wildcard Magic! to work?
  3. Also in GCA when I add Magic! to my skills list it lists the level as 7 and the point value as 3. I don't understand how that level is derived and shouldn't the point value be 24 (Very Hard/IQ skill)?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
arnej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Other questions;
  1. Do wildcard skills like Magic! have levels or is it a one time 24pt purchase?
  2. Do I need to have a level in the Magery advantage in order for wildcard Magic! to work?
  3. Also in GCA when I add Magic! to my skills list it lists the level as 7 and the point value as 3. I don't understand how that level is derived and shouldn't the point value be 24 (Very Hard/IQ skill)?
I think item 2 is campaign-specific, but probable answer would be "Yes"

Questions 1 and 3 are related:

Wildcard skills are SKILLS, so not a 24-pt advantage. To calculate the cost for a wildcard skill, you take the cost of a corresponding level of a VH skill and triple it. So a skill at IQ-3 for a VH skill is 1. So a wildcard skill for the same level (IQ-3) would cost 3 (Just like your example, assuming an IQ of 10). Next level (IQ-2) would cost 6, IQ-1 would cost 12, and skill @ IQ level would cost 8*3=24.

To get your final skill level, take that and add your level of Magery.

Hope that helps!

arnej
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Other questions;
  1. Do wildcard skills
Did you mean skills or the magery advantage, sorry I shouldn't have confused you by putting in info about the wildcard skills.

If you are still referring to the Magery Advantage then treat it like it is the same thing (only named differently to create a more specific type of magery) and it would apply the same =/- to all wildcard spells.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!

Last edited by NightHawk; 11-12-2012 at 05:13 PM.
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magery, magic, magic!, wildcard, wildcard magic