Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
Carlos

Default [IW] High-Tech/Ultra-Tech firearms for a Yrth's warrior

Greetings, buddies.

I'm currently playing a Infinity Worlds game with 250 character points (plus -125 from disadvantages). The guy is a TL 1-5 Super-Soldier (from Infinity Worlds 185-186), previously from Megalos that later was recruited by ISWAT. The point is that this guy is not anymore a "mere" TL 3 warrior, but a updated TL 8-9 warrior that uses Sword & Gun during fighting. Its a ST 21 warrior (ST 18 +3 from Super-soldier) with Striking ST 2 and Arm ST 2, for a total of ST 25 while attacking with his Zweihander, which he uses one-handed for 5d+13 cutting damage. Also, he has Broadsword and Counterattack 20 and Feint 24.

Anway, that's just a background. The point is that this guy has huge strenght and, therefore, calls for a very potent firearm. Since pistols are too light, here is what he's using now as a "pistol" (one-handed):

Shotgun => Daewoo USAS-12, 12 G 2.75'': Dmg 1d+1 pi; Acc 3; Range 40/800; Weight: 7,1 kgs; RoF: 6x9; Shots: 10+1(3); ST: 11†; Bulk: -5; Rcl: 1/3 (High-Tech, 104)

...and using this ammo => APDS Ammo: Dmg 6d(2) pi+; Acc 4; Range 150/1600 (HT, 103).

Ok. Up to 6 bullets per turn for 6d of damage with armor divisor (2). I was wondering if that is the best option that a ST 21 + Arm ST 2 guy can use. And by "best", I mean the most powerful and concealable gun (because I'd love to use a gatling gun, but to run out there with that is not that easy) a not-quite-human guy can use. So please, I'd like to see some idea.

Obs.: ISWAT TL is transitory between 8 and 9, so High-Tech is allowed and maybe some Ultra-Tech.
Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
Kale

Default Re: [IW] High-Tech/Ultra-Tech firearms for a Yrth's warrior

A G3A3 battle rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO with 50 round drum is appealing. (HT p117) Decent ammo capacity, and 6d+2 per bullet with full auto (RoF10) capability! Add APHC ammo to get 6d+2(2). Not as concealable as a shotgun but it can shred an unarmored vehicle in short order. (bulk 5 or 6) With APHC it can probably shred a lightly armored vehicle as well. The 50 round drum also makes it serviceable for suppressing fire, at least for a few rounds. Finally, for maximum rock-and-roll mix some tracer rounds into the ammo load for incendiary effects.
Old 10-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
Miles

Since it's an Infinite Worlds campaign, take a look at the Barrett M97 Dragonfang from the Designer Notes for High Tech.

It's just one of the reasons why the Technomancer setting is awesome.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #4
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kale View Post
A G3A3 battle rifle chambered for 7.62 NATO with 50 round drum is appealing. (HT p117) Decent ammo capacity, and 6d+2 per bullet with full auto (RoF10) capability! Add APHC ammo to get 6d+2(2). Not as concealable as a shotgun but it can shred an unarmored vehicle in short order. (bulk 5 or 6) With APHC it can probably shred a lightly armored vehicle as well. The 50 round drum also makes it serviceable for suppressing fire, at least for a few rounds. Finally, for maximum rock-and-roll mix some tracer rounds into the ammo load for incendiary effects.
Yes... It looks like a nice weapon. 6d+2 damage, with armor divisor (2) and RoF 10. And its bulk is -5, exactly the same book as the USAS-12. Very good. Lets just see if someone has a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Since it's an Infinite Worlds campaign, take a look at the Barrett M97 Dragonfang from the Designer Notes for High Tech.
I really like it! But its said...

"The M97 Dragonfang is a short-barreled, stockless personal defense weapon (PDW) designed for dragons and combat golems -- it would also be suited as a sidearm for large supers or mecha."

My character, despite the fact that he has ST 21 (and can raise up to ST 23), is not a very large guy. He's SM+0. So can he really use that?

And I'm amazed with the fact that it has only bulk -4, less bulky than the USAS-12.

Anyway, can I somehow turn this Dragonfang even more powerful? (with some kind of special ammo or something else....)

It also says "It lacks a stock and is intended to be fired one-handed.". So a character with ST 20 can really use it one handed, like a pistol??
Old 10-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
Miles

Yes on all counts. It's real. Of course it may or may not be balanced, so talk to your GM. As for making it more powerful, take a second look at the ammunition listed in the weapon's description. Other than that, You could look into bigger magazines, if you're willing to risk increased Malf.

Incidentally, you say that your character is SM+0, but why is that? He'd get a nice price discount on ST from being SM+1, it would help with grappling and reach, and it fits with my picture of a hypothetical Megalan super-soldier. If the empire likes their statues big, stupid, and comically muscled, I'm sure they have the same taste in soldiers.

Remember though, you're going to want versatility. So what I would do is grab an Ultra-Tech 25mm or 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher for whatever gun you take. That lets you play with stuff like tangler, EMP, jammer, strobe, flare, warbler, riot and sleep gas, and smoke warheads. In theory it doesn't even add bulk, although I'd probably house rule that it did if I was GMing.

Also, see if you can get Infinity to recast your character's Zweihander with Ultra-Fine materials. That'll boost damage and get you a lovely armor divisor.

Last edited by Miles; 10-30-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:19 AM   #6
Kale

Quote:
Remember though, you're going to want versatility. So what I would do is grab an Ultra-Tech 25mm or 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher for whatever gun you take.
Ya know, the G3A3 can mount that... @:-)
As an added bonus 7.62 NATO ammo is probably fairly common on many worlds. You would probably be able to find ammo for it easily. If you were in a Reich world you could have a different barrel and bolt to swap into the gun to chamber 7.92 instead, or finally maybe the same treatment to chamber 30-06 like that used in the M1 Garand.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:34 PM   #7
Carlos

Quote:
As for making it more powerful, take a second look at the ammunition listed in the weapon's description. Other than that, You could look into bigger magazines, if you're willing to risk increased Malf.
The weapon's description doesn't offer anything more powerful than the weapon's basic damage. Perhaps High-Tech rules can bring some improvement. The point is that after years of DF games, I'm totally newbie about guns and ammo. That's why I'm open to suggestions.

Quote:
Incidentally, you say that your character is SM+0, but why is that? He'd get a nice price discount on ST from being SM+1, it would help with grappling and reach, and it fits with my picture of a hypothetical Megalan super-soldier. If the empire likes their statues big, stupid, and comically muscled, I'm sure they have the same taste in soldiers.
Yes. Sometimes I play big guys, but I didn't want it this time. A super-soldier (even from a fantasy world) doesn't have to be bigger (Captaim America). He just need to be stronger (and +3 to ST doesn't let any space for doubt) and toughter (HT+1, High Pain Threshold and Fit, all this inborn). And after reach his maximum ST (ST 20+3= 23), I'll look for ways to increase it even more by biotechnology, adding some extra levels of Striking ST and Lifting ST.

Quote:
Remember though, you're going to want versatility. So what I would do is grab an Ultra-Tech 25mm or 40mm underbarrel grenade launcher for whatever gun you take. That lets you play with stuff like tangler, EMP, jammer, strobe, flare, warbler, riot and sleep gas, and smoke warheads. In theory it doesn't even add bulk, although I'd probably house rule that it did if I was GMing.
The Dragonfang has bulk -4. Is that really correct? And can it be used one-handed if you have ST 20?

Quote:
Also, see if you can get Infinity to recast your character's Zweihander with Ultra-Fine materials. That'll boost damage and get you a lovely armor divisor.
Ultra-Fine?? Where is that? I couldn't find that on Ultra-Tech.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #8
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
The weapon's description doesn't offer anything more powerful than the weapon's basic damage. Perhaps High-Tech rules can bring some improvement. The point is that after years of DF games, I'm totally newbie about guns and ammo. That's why I'm open to suggestions.

Ultra-Fine?? Where is that? I couldn't find that on Ultra-Tech.
It's Superfine instead. See the top right of p.163.

UT has the Liquid propellant and ETC options for firearms. Infinity is already using ETC for its' 10mm pistol.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Carlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
It's Superfine instead. See the top right of p.163.
He already has a Superfine balanced Zweihander (armor divisor 2). I asked the GM for a Monowire balanced Zweihander (armor divisor 2). He said no, but said I could get one in game.

By the way, I'm not satisfied with only 5d+13 cutting damage (one-handed). I intent to reach ST up to his maximum (He's 21 now, but he can reach up to 23 for being a Super-soldier) and increase his Striking ST/Lifting ST with biotechnology. With Arm ST 2, I want to reach ST 31 for 6d-1 damage. With a monowire Zweihander and Weapon Master, its 6d+15(10) cutting damage. I guess I could slice and dice even robots and machines with that.

In any case, the fact that this guy has LOTS of ST (21+ Arm ST 2 at the moment, but growing up...) is the reason why I want to give him a powerful gun to fit his strenght. And I guess that the Barrett M97 Dragonfang is a nice option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
UT has the Liquid propellant and ETC options for firearms. Infinity is already using ETC for its' 10mm pistol.
Where can I find a reference about this?

And do you think such option could be used with the gun mentioned above?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
Where can I find a reference about this?

And do you think such option could be used with the gun mentioned above?
ETC and Liquid Propellant are on p.139 of UT. The 10mm Infinity Sevice Pistol is om p.200 of IW.

THe problem with getting an ETC "pistol" is finding soemone to make it for you. The 10mm is domestic production on Homeline and quite limited in availability. Making some one-off odd claiber in ETC is probably not reasonable for Homeline.

You can just _buy_ a regualr Dragonfang on the black market on Merlin-1. You could even get an enchnated version. The whole process would probably be more fun than humans should be allowed to have. :) Oh well, not everything on Merlin-1 is meant for humans.

The higher tech Merlin-2 is known only from a single paragraph on p.135 of IW but they _might_ have ETC as standard. Their golem tech might not be as mature and their dragons are still teenagers though. The Merlin-2 black market ought to be even more "fun" than the one on Merlin-1. Lotsa luck.

Obtaining such a specialized item from another world rather than having it specially made on homeline is actually more practical for Infinity in most cases.

Tags
banestorm, infinite worlds