Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:40 AM   #11
Tim Kauffman

Default Re: New Scenario: Sidewinder

1.01 Overview. This scenario turns the Ogre map on its side and requires the Ogre to destroy two objectives for a full victory.

Suggested change to:

1.01 Overview. This scenario has the Ogre map played from the east and west sides, instead of from the north and south sides
and requires the Ogre to destroy two objectives for a full victory.

2.02 Paneuropean Units. The Paneuropean forces (blue) are the defenders and set up first:

20 armor units and 36 squads of infantry on or behind the row of hexes beginning in 08.

Suggested Change to:

2.02 Paneuropean Units. The Paneuropean forces (blue) are the defenders and set up first:

20 armor units and 36 squads of infantry on or to the west of the 0801 to 0822 row of hexes.

20 armor units and 36 squads of infantry on or behind the row of hexes beginning in 08.
Two laser turrets (treated as D1 for this scenario) are located in the two eastern corners of the map.

Suggested change to:

Two laser turrets (treated as D1 for this scenario) are located in the two eastern corners of the map in hexes 1501 and 1521.

2.03 Combine Units. The Combine (red) forces are the attackers. They get a single Mark V Ogre. The Ogre enters on the first turn anywhere on the west side of the map.

Suggested change to:

2.03 Combine Units. The Combine (red) forces are the attackers. They get a single Mark V Ogre. The Ogre enters on the first turn anywhere on the west side of the map, from hex row 0801 to 0121.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

FWIW, "turns the Ogre Map on its side" reads to me like it is intended as purely fluff, and I didn't have any trouble understanding the setup instructions.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
atomic

Hey Drew,

Is the map graphic in your post supposed to be postage stamp-sized? If so, your plan worked. :) If not, well...it is at least for me. I tried on 3 different computers, to eliminate any Layer 8 issues. Not to say I still wasn't doing something stupid.

Last edited by atomic; 10-31-2016 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Punctuation
atomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #14
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Hey Drew,

Is the map graphic in your post supposed to be postage stamp-sized? If so, your plan worked. :) If not, well...it is at least for me. I tried on 3 different computers, to eliminate any Layer 8 issues. Not to say I still wasn't doing something stupid.
It's not you. There are some limitations in file size in the forums that tend to put a damper on image uploads. :-(
Old 11-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #15
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post

Suggested Change to:

20 armor units and 36 squads of infantry on or to the west of the 0801 to 0822 row of hexes.
Given that the map description elsewhere has rows running E/W and columns running N/S, I'd also change 'row' to 'column' - even if you turn the map sideways for visual purposes, keeping the naming convention consistent should help make it clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
2.03 Combine Units. The Combine (red) forces are the attackers. They get a single Mark V Ogre. The Ogre enters on the first turn anywhere on the west side of the map.

Suggested change to:

2.03 Combine Units. The Combine (red) forces are the attackers. They get a single Mark V Ogre. The Ogre enters on the first turn anywhere on the west side of the map, from hex row 0801 to 0121.
I think you mean 0101, not 0801.

Other than those 2 tweaks, I think these wording changes go a long way towards clarifying the setup.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
ghostofjfd

Questions about the laser towers: Are these buildings? If so, how many SP do they have. Or are they, like the turrets, D1 units immune to Disabled results?

I'm assuming the towers aren't buildings, as that would make them way tougher than the mild balance adjustment (6 INF) justifies. Besides, I kind of like the image of a laser tower falling over from one good hit, like the guard tower in F-Troop.
ghostofjfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:53 AM   #17
Misplaced Buckeye

[QUOTE=ghostofjfd;2054927]Questions about the laser towers: Are these buildings? If so, how many SP do they have. Or are they, like the turrets, D1 units immune to Disabled results?

I'm assuming the towers aren't buildings, as that would make them way tougher than the mild balance adjustment (6 INF) justifies. Besides, I kind of like the image of a laser tower falling over from one good hit, like the guard tower in F-Troop.[/QUOTE/]

Mine were always SP 40 or 60 structures.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
ghostofjfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced Buckeye View Post
Mine were always SP 40 or 60 structures.
Which would let them survive much more of a beating than the turrets defined in 3.3. The scenario should give specifics for the laser towers, too. It's just an editorial tweak.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:39 PM   #19
ghostofjfd

Hi all. Sidewinder has gotten several playings here. My overall impression is that balance favors the Mk V a bit, while the Mk IV has a tough time. Howitzers spaced out so they're not all killable on the same turn can make things tough for the Mk V. On defense I've used a linear setup most of the time. The requirement to be on or west of the 08nn hex column motivates the defending units to hang back outside most of the Ogre's first-turn threat radius. That's tougher to do against the speedy Mk IV.

I haven't taken notes on all playings, but I can pull together a couple detailed play-by-plays.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:41 PM   #20
ghostofjfd

The terrain limits the laser turrets' fire significantly. I did see one turret save itself by shooting down an incoming Ogre missile.

Question about lasers versus Ogre missiles: How do you all figure line of sight? I've ruled that a laser can attempt to shoot down an Ogre missile if it's eligible to fire and has a line of sight to either the firing Ogre's hex or the target hex.