Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: how to make Sorcery Maledictions operate like Regular Spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taneli View Post
That said, however, Malediction says "Your attack is not a conventional ranged attack; it works more like a Regular spell (p. 239)." and regular spells have that choice. You could read this as meaning that Malediction already has that option.
If not for the "clearly perceive" requirement I would agree. I think that req is why it's 'more like' rather than 'same as'.

The vagueness of "clearly" makes me wonder if darkness penalties would be a soft cap apply to your will roll, or just be a hard cap that takes effect at some unspecified level.

Spells seem to take it at half (-5 instead of -10 for blind targeting, so presumably -1 per -2 in light/obscure sum penalties)

Speed/Range modifiers apply to vision rolls and there's no mention of them applying to regular spells or maledictions even though they would limit your ability to clearly perceive something.

So perhaps rather than applying to the same roll you just first do a Vision roll to "perceive" it. Maybe if MoS 0 is "slightly perceive" then MoS 1+ is clearly?

Or perhaps clear perception is the followup IQ roll to Per checks to process info? IE "the swooping figure in the cape I saw must be George, I remember he wears capes"
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
malediction, sorcery