Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Planetary power

I was wondering how you model the power for a character in the comic; Planetary? It's a Wildstorm/DC character by the name of Snow. Thank you.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Planetary power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
I was wondering how you model the power for a character in the comic; Planetary? It's a Wildstorm/DC character by the name of Snow. Thank you.
For those unfamiliar, could you describe the power?
Old 08-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #3
Lameth

Cryokinesis: Able to control temperatures, specifically able to extract heat to freeze things, and able to generate winter-like weather conditions. His main power is heat subtraction, allowing him to congeal poison gas, selectively freeze an entire city block or freeze the water in an opponent's brain. He can drop the temperature around him at will, freeze someone while the maintaining the normal temperature around him; create frost and ice; turn water to ice; turn things or beings to ice.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

That sounds like any power that could even vaguely be argued as involving cold.

If this is over-explaining published material, I apologise and will delete immediately.

Supers has an option to pay 4 times a main power to use as other powers of similar cost.
So for example, Flight 40 times 4 for 160 points allows you to use any other 40 point power if it could be argued to involve flight.

So this character would buy a massive cold based power and pay 4 times that. That original price could then temporarily stand in for Innate Attacks, Binding, etc.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #5
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

You are look at Control with the natural phenomena modifer (GURPS Powers p. 90-92) as your base abilty probable with an innate attack as an alternate ability tacked on.

The sample power Weather Control (GURPS Powers p. 136) should give you some ideas.

Last edited by roguebfl; 08-12-2015 at 09:34 PM.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #6
Phantasm

Well, sounds like he has a number of Binding, Fatigue w/ Freezing Hazard, and Temperature Control, Control, and possibly Create abilities, almost all with Elemental: Cold/Ice (-10%) and some form of Super (-10%) power modifiers. A number of Afflictions could also come into play, including perhaps Heart Attack (what GURPS uses for "save or die" builds).

In my Marvel Reboot thread (and master document in my .sig), look at Iceman. A number of abilities are listed there.

This reminds me, I need to finish that Pyramid article I'm working on for Cryokinetic and Pyrokinetic abilities....

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:46 AM   #7
T.K.

Snow seem to be the most straightforward to build from those bunch...

I was hoping you'd ask about the Spirit of the Century build...
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:07 AM   #8
DangerousThing

Jakarta would be easier.

And when has Snow used his power at a long range? He does have a highly selective area. He can freeze a human body so cold that it will shatter when hit.

He replaced the air conditioning in a desert diner.

I would say that his real power is his intelligence, knowledge, willpower, and charisma.

He also has wealth and the Planetary Organization behind him, plus possibly possibly unaging. He can be highly ruthless when he needs to be.

He also has an enemy, The Four (an evil version of the fantastic four who have higher tech and more wealth than he has).

He describes himself as a mystery archeologist. At the end of most of the books, the line "The world is a strange place. Let's keep it that way" is said.
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote