Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #31
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
That character's problem isn't that they have a subcutaneous armor layer that doesn't pass for human if revealed. Their problem is that humans will react negatively to the nonhuman in their midst if revealed. That is a Secret.
That seems legit, but continues to not cover what the pricing of the hidden but reveal-able DR should be...
Old 02-16-2017, 02:06 PM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That seems legit, but continues to not cover what the pricing of the hidden but reveal-able DR should be...
Five point per level...

What about it gets special pricing?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #33
Bruno

You don't get a discount on Injury Tolerance: Homogenous if revealing it reveals your Secret. You don't get a discount on your Switchable Long Talons if revealing it reveals your Secret.

Heck, you don't get a discount on your 100d 1024yd radius Burning Attack, even though using it kind of explodes your Secret along with everyone within 1024 yds.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:57 PM   #34
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Heck, you don't get a discount on your 100d 1024yd radius Burning Attack, even though using it kind of explodes your Secret along with everyone within 1024 yds.
To be fair, anyone able to discern your Secret from that is probably incinerated, so the Secret probably isn't blown - assuming you can dodge the questions about "how did you survive when no one else did?". ;)

But I agree, there is no "Disadvantage: Secret" limitation on DR, or any exotic/paranormal trait for that matter.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 PM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Five point per level...

What about it gets special pricing?
The part where it's better than non-hidden DR.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:37 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
That character's problem isn't that they have a subcutaneous armor layer that doesn't pass for human if revealed. Their problem is that humans will react negatively to the nonhuman in their midst if revealed. That is a Secret.
It's still very important to look unarmored and vulnerable compared to heavily protected. No Signature isn't nonsense.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #37
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's still very important to look unarmored and vulnerable compared to heavily protected. No Signature isn't nonsense.
I wouldn't say it is. But if you have an outer layer with No Signature, and then an under layer, and the outer layer conceals the under layer, then the under layer has No Signature too, and you pay the full No Signature bonus cost for all of it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
The part where it's better than non-hidden DR.
It is either hidden, or it isn't. Being revealed by injury is how hidden armor is revealed regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Is DR (No Signature) "My armor looks like normal skin or body armor or something" or is "You don't realize I have DR even when you hurt me"? I thought it was the latter. The former seems like DR and no disadvantages from looking like monster or weapon.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #39
Phantasm

Quote:
Is DR (No Signature) "My armor looks like normal skin or body armor or something" or is "You don't realize I have DR even when you hurt me"? I thought it was the latter. The former seems like DR and no disadvantages from looking like monster or weapon.
I treat it as "my armor looks like normal skin or clothing, but if you see bullets bounce off me then put two and two together and don't call it 'five'."

Of course, YMMV based on setting and genre assumptions.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Champions says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champions p. 43
This is not obvious – the attacks just seem to do less damage than they should.

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]