Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-19-2016, 01:58 PM   #31
Kalzazz

Default Re: Mailanka's Musings -- GURPS Content Post

I know I can look up Felinoid myself, but I can look up lots of things myself, part of the point of a character sheet is to conveniently store 'must have' info on the character in question so you minimize rulebook flipping. So just throwing down 'felinoid' 35pts means you need to go look up 'what goes into felinoid'

I mean, you put down ST based damage, basic lift, weapon and armor stats etc so don't need to look up in play why not put down what goes into the race?

For UT armor, I remember (I think, but may be wrong) that I asked about it at one point and got that it was not layering friendly
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:06 PM   #32
Kalzazz

Here is a thread on the armor layering topic, where David Pulver himself actually answers questions (see post 24)

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...=115818&page=3

Here is a thread that may have been what I was remembering

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=77538&page=2

See post 11

So my remembering (based on that thread) is that your armor already comes complete with the appropriate underlayers, so any extra added ones do eat DX penalties
Old 01-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #33
Kalzazz

now that I am not actually posting on a phone though - can you explain why you decided to include combat hardsuits and force swords but not force bucklers in the setting?

I am a bit curious, as I envision shields going well with heavy armor, and Dun's character picture actually shows him with a shield

Of course, I am an unabashed fan of shields . . . . my TL 10 gadgeteer super in the Tanuki City SODS Supers campaign uses a shield. A giant SM+2 pink with a Honda logo large riot shield, to go with her TL 10 (so up tech leveled) combat walker that transforms into a Honda Goldwing (which is, uhm, on rare occasion even useful)

Absolutely looking forward to seeing how you make his non ROF melee useful . . . . ranged rate of fire can be king (on said supers character I actually envisioned at first wielding a giant SM+2/3 or so Vibrowire katana, but well, guns just so much cooler more effective)
Old 01-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #34
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
now that I am not actually posting on a phone though - can you explain why you decided to include combat hardsuits and force swords but not force bucklers in the setting?
Musta been because force bucklers are unrealistic.

What?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:57 PM   #35
Mailanka

Day 3 and sample character three: Leylana Grey, Spy
Old 01-20-2016, 12:01 AM   #36
Mailanka

Quote:
Because I'm iterating. What you're seeing is not a completed setting, but the beginning of one. For my first run, I wanted to make a basic GURPS Space Space Knight, and I don't think they had Shields as options and in any case, Jedi don't carry shields and this is based on Star Wars, isn't it?

Spoiler alert: By iteration 2 I have greater control of the templates and I temporarily discard the idea of Jedi in favor of Space Knights qua Space Knights, and I gave Dun a force buckler and it was sweet.

Quote:
Absolutely looking forward to seeing how you make his non ROF melee useful . . . . ranged rate of fire can be king (on said supers character I actually envisioned at first wielding a giant SM+2/3 or so Vibrowire katana, but well, guns just so much cooler more effective)
You'll see how he does Friday, but I mostly kept the enemy at pistol range, and force swords really surprised me (those things are nasty!).

I must say, though, I do appreciate your comments :)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #37
Mailanka

Also, Kalzazz, I wanted to add: If you are watching these posts and going "This is great, but I would totally do it this way, not that way," then you're doing it right. That's actually the intent of these posts. I remember seeing a thread on campaign ideas that people never get around to trying. There are all sorts of reasons for it, but one often cited is that they just couldn't make the setting work or didn't have time to "finish it." Psi Wars is an ode to those people specifically. If I had one mission with this series, it's to show people how to rapidly finish a setting, and how to accept that not everything will be perfect, and that's okay.

So if this encourages you to run your own knock-off of Star Wars with Force Bucklers, then I would feel this was a success.

Or, you know, if you actually end up running Psi Wars, that would be good too.

Also, this will seem to take a lot longer than it actually did. I started writing Psi-Wars in the last week of December, and it's the third week of January, and I have posts scheduled until Mid-April, so the complete setting probably won't come out until the middle of the summer, but I'll likely have it finished (at this pace) sometime in February.

(Reason I'm not just increasing my content release schedule: I don't think people want a 20,000 word dump a week; I tend to get distracted and I want to give myself room to take a break; I'm getting married in March)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #38
Kalzazz

These templates really make my 'DM who reviews player characters' mind hurt! Owww!

This would have been a golden opportunity to use UT tailoring rules, they even gave an example of a fancy armored dress
Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #39
Mailanka

Quote:
These templates really make my 'DM who reviews player characters' mind hurt! Owww!
I didn't bring it up in the post (because talents are controversial and complicated), but she's a classic example of why I avoid 15-point talents unless I have a very compelling reason not to. Her 15 points in Smooth Operator bought her a total of 9 points worth of skills.

Quote:
This would have been a golden opportunity to use UT tailoring rules, they even gave an example of a fancy armored dress
I've been tempted to write up a biomimetic outfit that folds into a skin-tight combat suit the moment she gets into a fight, but that strikes me as "cool spy gadget" more than typical gear. At this point in the design, though, I was just grabbing what already existed in the book to keep it simple (though I agree with you that UT doesn't shine if you just grab "what's already there." There's many a story to be told, many a cool concept that can shine, if you take a moment to put a few touches on gear).
Old 01-20-2016, 01:13 PM   #40
Kalzazz

The most egregious offender was all those points spent on IQ skills when she could have just raised IQ

I look forward to seeing discussion on cool custom gear. I am really hesitant to make new gear as people can never agree on already existing gear stats

Tailored armored dresses seem safe though as are a simple application of tailoring rules

Tags
blog, blogs, determined attack, telegraphic attack