Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #131
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Default Re: Cost of HT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It is nonsensical as a response to what you were quoting.
No it wasn't Vicky posted that an idea exist that I agree with.

I quote the response that said that idea does not exist and noone has posted it.

I posed to assume because people are choosing not post because because it would derail you house rules thread that they agree with your positions.

you not liking that does make it nonsence.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #132
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
I've ignored it to the extent that it is utterly inconsequential.

GURPS RAW: A character has Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

Your version: All of these skills are grouped under Science. The character has Science (Biology), Science (Chemistry), and Science (Physics).

You haven't changed anything. There are still as many skills as there were before. Nothing whatsoever has been simplified. As I said before, all you did was sweep them under rugs.
I kind of agree with both of you. In that I would prefer a kind of scale of skill sets. From the large swathes like bang skill Science! to Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc. to the more fiddly like their suggested specialties to possibly even more detailed for certain campaigns.
R.A.W. does that already, but not very clearly, and not for even most skills.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:07 PM   #133
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
You haven't changed anything. There are still as many skills as there were before. Nothing whatsoever has been simplified. As I said before, all you did was sweep them under rugs.
You save a lot of space by not making each science skill have its own separate paragraph in the skills chapter with its own copy of a very similar skill description and game effects. Much like we presently save space under the Thrown Weapon heading by not making Knife-Throwing, Axe-Throwing, Spear-Throwing, Boomerang, Shuriken, Darts, and so on into separate skill entries of their own.

And many of the sciences and other such skills that have their own segments in the skill chapter don't need them, just as we don't need separate entries for every possible interpretation of Professional Skill and Hobby Skill.

And of course there are always some skills so similar to each other that they might be better served with a merge on the game mechanical level anyway; Falconry and Animal Handling(Falcons), Shortsword and Broadsword, Tonfa and Shortsword, or Riding(Horse) and Animal Handling(Equines) as a few examples.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:38 PM   #134
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
And that blithely accepting because none in this thread has opposed the idea means the idea doesn't exist,
How about the idea that no one has _pro_posed it? I don't want a single Science Skill. Anthony doesn't either. We don't want Science to be just one skill any more than Hobby or Profession is.

It makes no sense to silently oppose something no one is advocating.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #135
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
You save a lot of space by not making each science skill have its own separate paragraph in the skills chapter with its own copy of a very similar skill description and game effects. Much like we presently save space under the Thrown Weapon heading by not making Knife-Throwing, Axe-Throwing, Spear-Throwing, Boomerang, Shuriken, Darts, and so on into separate skill entries of their own.
That's a poor comparison. Chemistry and Biology have FAR less overlap than Dart Throwing does with Spear Throwing.

I imagine a more apt comparison might be to all the influence skills of Intimidation, Diplomacy, Fast Talk, etc.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #136
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's a poor comparison. Chemistry and Biology have FAR less overlap than Dart Throwing does with Spear Throwing.
Rules-wise, not really. They're all pretty much 'Roll to know things, do research, or understand research in <field>.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #137
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Rules-wise, not really. They're all pretty much 'Roll to know things, do research, or understand research in <field>.
That's the definition of skill.
Do you really want to simplify things down to Skill: Know stuff, Skill: Do stuff, and Skill: hit stuff?
Old 01-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #138
Anthony

Quote:
Do you really want to simplify things down to Skill: Know stuff, Skill: Do stuff, and Skill: hit stuff?
Unless the skill actually needs separate rules text, sure.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:47 PM   #139
Dead Monky

Quote:
I prefer to use a single, generic Omni-Roll. One skill for everything!

Tags
attributes, cost, house rule