Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #221
Figleaf23
Banned

Default Re: What's with the modesty about stats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
That's weird. Then again, it gives 15 year olds adult strength, and that's just plain silly too. I am significantly stronger now than then. Heck, I went through a virtual second puberty in my late teens.
My impression is that human males really reach their full ST only by their mid- 20s.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #222
trans

With IQ 20 and a Cooking default of 15 I think it would be less a matter of reproducing recipes than what you could do in a limited amount of time with the ingredients and equipment on hand (and possibly also sub-chefs, etc.) in order to produce something tasty and/or otherwise pleasing.

As for human males and STR, I maxed out at about age 20.
trans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #223
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
My impression is that human males really reach their full ST only by their mid- 20s.
Based on athletes, max ST is probably achieved at around 30, but HT starts declining in the 20s.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #224
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfish View Post
roblem, in my opinion - authentic or not, you just are not going to find a realistic person, with not even Dabbler-level skill in Cooking, who is going to consistently produce satisfying meals as consistently as a professional chef! But this is what RAW allows.
IQ 20 is NOT realistic. It's just not superhuman in a cinematic/superhero context.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #225
Vynticator

I just don't read the RAW default attempt as being in any way equivalent to the use of a trained skill. It says 'taking a stab' at the skill. It also says there are some things you just can't default to.

An IQ 20 person trying a cookery roll would never pull off anything better than a good improvised meal. A trained cook at-15 would outperform every time. The basic number doesn't tell the whole story. Moloch posted on page one about familiarity penalties, on top of that. Plus you might use some common sense to reason what it means to default.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #226
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Remember that that IQ 20 person has almost superhuman levels of taste and smell, has read widely in an abundance of fields (including cookery), is quick to analyze problems and find solutions, converses easily with people and retains those conversations -- in fact, his memory, while not technically photographic, lets him retain a lot of the essential bits from any conversation, TV program, jouirnal or other material that he's encountered.

Under those circumstances -- which are not in the least realistic -- I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Professor Genius do much better than an improvised meal. Sure, familiarity penalties and the like can balance things a bit, but let's face it, we are talking the literal peak of human intelligence here, things are going to seem unreal.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:07 PM   #227
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
That's only for those actively bulking up. For most people, adult strength is probably enough, and the real push is for endurance.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #228
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Remember that that IQ 20 person has almost superhuman levels of taste and smell, has read widely in an abundance of fields (including cookery), is quick to analyze problems and find solutions, converses easily with people and retains those conversations -- in fact, his memory, while not technically photographic, lets him retain a lot of the essential bits from any conversation, TV program, jouirnal or other material that he's encountered.

Under those circumstances -- which are not in the least realistic -- I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Professor Genius do much better than an improvised meal. Sure, familiarity penalties and the like can balance things a bit, but let's face it, we are talking the literal peak of human intelligence here, things are going to seem unreal.
There are nothing in the IQ attributes that equals it to knowledge. Read, learned, self-taught or otherwise. As I already mentioned I agree one who does engage in a lot of IQ-based skills probably will get a higher IQ, but the opposite is not true.

You could be an illiterate tribal "wiseman" with IQ:20. It just means your default-skills are different.

Otherwise I completely agree with you. The IQ:20 man would be able to cook a superb meal with whatever he is given. But that doesn't mean he would be able to cook a specific meal unknown to him. High IQ doesn't = "vast knowledge about everything". 1 pt in every skill would mean that. It just mean that you can attempt everything and are likely to succeed.

Actually I seem to remember more than one fictional super-genius of this type. Who are the result of some secret program but are now "lose in the world" (often doing good). They can do everything well, but they don't know the specific. They can cook a good meal but not the exact recipe without first access to it, and the high IQ doesn't give them this.

Last edited by Maz; 12-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #229
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
There are nothing in the IQ attributes that equals it to knowledge. Read, learned, self-taught or otherwise. As I already mentioned I agree one who does engage in a lot of IQ-based skills probably will get a higher IQ, but the opposite is not true.

You could be an illiterate tribal "wiseman" with IQ:20. .
But then you'd be dealing with the tech level penalty that does in fact affect defaults.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #230
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Remember that that IQ 20 person has almost superhuman levels of taste and smell
That only holds if Per is also at 20. Can't be relied on as a part of IQ-based skill use.

Tags
attributes, stats