Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-03-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
cvannrederode

Default Seeing/changing starting wealth

I'm starting a new campaign and have set the starting wealth at $1000. In the past it seems that GCA calculates a character's starting wealth automagically in the background, based on TL and wealth level. Then it will set the money display in the status bar to red if you exceed that.

My questions: how can you see what that calculated amount is, and is it possible to change it?

Also, can you add money to this level as a character gains it in play, so that the display doesn't turn red?
cvannrederode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:15 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Seeing/changing starting wealth

Wealth is set using the Starting Wealth "attribute," which you can access in the Attributes tab, clicking the Table View in the lower-left corner. However, if you want to make changes for multiple characters the best way to do so is to create a custom data file which modifies the Wealth attribute. You can open any of GCA's data files using any text editing program, such as Notepad, to examine their contents.

Starting Wealth has a basevalue of the Wealth Modifier multiplied by an indexed value based on the campaign's set TL. For some reason I don't remember the Wealth Modifier default value is 10, so you need to replace the indexed value with a value that is 1/10 your desired campaign starting wealth level. In your case we just set it to Wealth Modifier * 100 and you will have a starting wealth of $1000. You can copy/paste the following code into Notepad or some other plain text editor and save it as MyCampaignFile.GDF and load it in at the end of your Data Set to change the Starting Wealth level.

Code:
Version=3

[ATTRIBUTES]
Starting Wealth, basevalue(ST:Wealth Modifier * 100), step(1), minscore(0), display(No), round(1)
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca, wealth