Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
Blood Legend

Default Food

I cant find a whole lot of concrete rules regarding food.

There's either a brief word 'man eats 12lbs a day' or arbitration 'a ration is 6 bucks a meal'

I'm encountering an issue where a player of mine is looking to rent a really ****ty horse but the one he's looking at was purchased by a butcher.

It's a draft horse ($2000) that is on it's way out based on handwavium, how much would the butcher buy this horse for, and how much would he sell the meat for?

He is skilled enough to regularly get the maximum 70% of meat off the bone.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
It's a draft horse ($2000) that is on it's way out based on handwavium, how much would the butcher buy this horse for,
If the horse really can't do much work, then something less than the value of the meat he'd get from it.

Quote:
and how much would he sell the meat for?
Though the nominal cost of animal products is $8/lb., there could be other factors at work. If people don't like the idea of eating horse, there'll be a negative CF. If they prefer eating horse, then a positive one.

Quote:
He is skilled enough to regularly get the maximum 70% of meat off the bone.
What's his skill level?

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
Blood Legend

8/lb sounds decent.

The capital they're in, this one particular butcher handles all the dying or dead horses from about 5 companies, so the people he buys from are accustomed to if not outright looking for horse meat. Where'd you find the 8/lb ruling? I've looked through 6 books.

The butcher's skill is about 20 with servant and apprentice help. He was born a butcher, all he's ever done is butcher, and he'll die a butcher, probably shortly.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno

Last edited by Blood Legend; 08-31-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
. Where'd you find the 8/lb ruling? I've looked through 6 books.
The eccentruc pseudonym of TBC cleverly disguises Matt Rigsby who helped write Gurps:Low Tech and iit's pdf companions.

I'm guessing that one of those is where he got the figure.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Where'd you find the 8/lb ruling?
The low tech issue of Pyramid. #33, I think.

Quote:
The butcher's skill is about 20 with servant and apprentice help.
Yeah, he could do it.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Blood Legend

Branch question; at that skill, what's stopping the man from buying up horses just to chop them up? Draft horse 2000 bucks; meat, about 12,000.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #7
jacobmuller

I'd ask what does he have to pay as wages, waste disposal, maintenance, his own labour value (cost of living?)... And supply vs demand - may be just nobody would buy that much meat?
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:03 AM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Branch question; at that skill, what's stopping the man from buying up horses just to chop them up? Draft horse 2000 bucks; meat, about 12,000.
Supply and demand. He'll soon find that people charge more for the few horses who are still alive. And there's only so many recipes for horse beef.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
starslayer

Quote:
I'm not sure where your getting those numbers?

An 'average' horse weighs about 1100 lbs (So some particularly stout breed might weigh 1500), but by no means is all of that 'meat', hoof, brain, organ, bone, skin, offal, sinew- all of that stuff a butcher would have to remove; and probably accounts for more then 70% of the horses weight.

So assuming a 1500lbs draft horse, a skilled butcher to not end up with a lot of waste; it's a $2000 investment in the horse for a sale of $3600 in meat, minus supplies, staff, disposal, and cost of the space (lets eyeball that at $600), the butcher makes $1000 for however much time it takes to completely butcher a horse (likely a long time).
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
Dalillama

70% sounds about right, actually, assuming you're taking every last bit of edible meat off of it. In my experience buying beef by the side, you get about 60% of the hang weight in meat, and that excludes some of the organs and other bits that fastidious Americans usually won't eat; if you're selling those too, you could probably squeeze out another 5-10%. I think that there's an overestimation of how much you can sell meat from a draft horse for, though, at least in a historical context. Typically, a draft horse isn't butchered until it's at the end of its working life, which means that you're getting very tough, gamy meat off of one. Usually that's meat for pet food or the very poor, and sold at quite cheap rates. As I understand it, in places where horse is a favored food of some people, those horses are raised for that purpose, rather than being sent to the butcher to get a last bit of profit off a workhorse.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote