Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
aebrain

Default Shields

Small shield - blocks 3 damage if the roll contains a 3. Thus 6.4.1 misses the shield. 2,1,3 blocks 3 pts. Otherwise ignore shield.

Medium shield - blocks 3 damage for every 3 in the roll. So 6,3,1 blocks 3 pts, 1,3,3 blocks 6, 3,3,3 blocks 9. Otherwise ignore shield.

Large shield - always blocks 3 as it's essentially used for hiding behind not blocking/parrying.

Statistically, on average the effect is almost the same as the rules as written, but it gives more flavour.
aebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Shields - Varient rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrain View Post
Statistically, on average the effect is almost the same as the rules as written, but it gives more flavour.
Hi Aebrain,
What a neat idea. I doubt that SJ will go for this, but I intend to use this as a magic item in my campaign.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:30 AM   #3
zot

Default Re: Shields

Definitely an interesting use of dice results!

It seems like weapons that roll fewer dice for the same ST would tend to do more damage to shield users (like hammer vs cutlass). It seems like hammer/ax/mace weapons tend to do damage that is lower dice with a positive modifier instead of higher dice with a negative modifier, like 1d+1 instead of 2d-2 for ST 10 and 2d+2 instead of 3d-1 for ST 14, although mace is an exception to this.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #4
Skarg

It is a clever sort of mechanic.

As Zot's response points out, it's not clear what roll is meant. Zot seems to think it's the damage roll, while I assumed (due to the examples showing 3 dice and claiming to statistically work out about the same as RAW) that it was the to-hit roll.

If it is the to-hit roll, then it'd also be a bit more likely to stop more hits when someone were defending or dodging (since 4 dice). Except Tower Shields, which always stop 3 but never more than 3. There's also the peculiarity that a medium shield can stop 9, but only (on 3-dice) on a to-hit roll of exactly 9.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 01:33 AM   #5
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
It is a clever sort of mechanic.

As Zot's response points out, it's not clear what roll is meant. Zot seems to think it's the damage roll, while I assumed (due to the examples showing 3 dice and claiming to statistically work out about the same as RAW) that it was the to-hit roll.

If it is the to-hit roll, then it'd also be a bit more likely to stop more hits when someone were defending or dodging (since 4 dice). Except Tower Shields, which always stop 3 but never more than 3. There's also the peculiarity that a medium shield can stop 9, but only (on 3-dice) on a to-hit roll of exactly 9.
Good point -- it must be the DX roll. And the fact that it blocks more from someone who has a harder time hitting you is neat.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #6
Anomylous

I like the mechanic, I like the pattern of 3's (easy to remember) and might adopt it. Treating shields as additional armor always seemed overly simplistic.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:31 AM   #7
aebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Good point -- it must be the DX roll. And the fact that it blocks more from someone who has a harder time hitting you is neat.
Exactly, it is the to-hit Dex roll, and the greater protection from an attack with a harder time hitting is deliberate.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:35 AM   #8
aebrain

Default Re: Shields - Varient rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Aebrain,
What a neat idea. I doubt that SJ will go for this, but I intend to use this as a magic item in my campaign.

Warm regards, Rick.
It was extensively playtested too back in the early 80s.

Many thanks for the kind words.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #9
Anomylous

Not to hijack the thread, but this idea fits here:

Although I haven't playtested it, I've thought about giving shield-bearers the option to defend with the shield (forcing their opponent to roll 4 dice to hit), while their own attack will be at -4 DX (it's now effectively a "second attack" after defending).

Would lead to longer combats, as many fewer blows would land, but that seems realistic? I might rule that this option costs fatigue, per a suggestion from another thread, to keep stalemates from going on too long.
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:59 AM   #10
CardDiceian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebrain View Post
Small shield - blocks 3 damage if the roll contains a 3. Thus 6.4.1 misses the shield. 2,1,3 blocks 3 pts. Otherwise ignore shield.

Medium shield - blocks 3 damage for every 3 in the roll. So 6,3,1 blocks 3 pts, 1,3,3 blocks 6, 3,3,3 blocks 9. Otherwise ignore shield.

Large shield - always blocks 3 as it's essentially used for hiding behind not blocking/parrying.

Is 'Medium shield' - one you added in yourselves? - In the ITL / AM books it goes straight from Small shield / Spike shield / Large shield / Tower shield.
What are the details on medium please?
CardDiceian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shields