Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-21-2018, 06:29 PM   #731
Dave Crowell

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy - Lessons for TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi JVL, everyone.
The reason why I emphasize new GM's is the way I see the new TFT fitting into to the SJG 'eco system'. TFT had a lot of fans, and they went over en mass to GURPS. That is what got GURPS going. GURPS started off pretty simple, but it has grown more and more complex. I used to see GURPS all the time in game stores, now almost never. It has complexified itself out of the market. (I'm sure that people can tell me about this or that game store that still carry it, but it is gone from all the game stores around here.)

I think that if TFT is handled with grace and energy, and if it is aimed at starting GM's, it could breed up a new generation of TFT players. As they get expert enough, they may grow into GURPS.
I fell away from GURPS as it got increasingly complex. My taste in RPG rules definitely runs to the rules light end of the spectrum.

Currently I am most excited by the return of the classic Melee and Wizard. I run games for teens at the local public library and teh thing they are biggest on is combat. TFT offers a way to make that more interesting than the typical RPG. Adding teh rest of teh TFT RPG system might even let me string a little role playing in between combats.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #732
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy - Lessons for TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
I run games for teens at the local public library and teh thing they are biggest on is combat. TFT offers a way to make that more interesting than the typical RPG. Adding teh rest of teh TFT RPG system might even let me string a little role playing in between combats.
That is awesome Dave; kudos to you!

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:38 AM   #733
Tuk the Weekah

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
As I've posted before, both here and on BGG/RPGGeek, there is an easy fix for this which does not require any other changes to the rules. Basically it's this; "2 fighters of equal DX have a 50% chance to hit one another." So if two fighters of 14 DX meet, they don't both have 90% chance to hit, they both have 50%. Where there is a difference, divide it between the two combatants.
Just working my way through this as I go, and Chris, this is brilliant. Simple, and doesn't change the basic structure of the game. Cool.
Tuk the Weekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:05 PM   #734
Skarg

Monster illustrations are nice, but to me a higher priority would be facing diagrams (hopefully including an example of counter art) for all monsters which aren't the same as 1-hex humans, 3-hex giants, or 4- or 7-hex dragons, as well as a little more detail about how facing works for oddities such as centaurs and Apep.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #735
Bayarea

A couple of things:

HTH Rules Modifications: Attempted HTH should be in the option portion (ex actions: attack, defend, attempt HTH) all in DX order. This will give a high DX (and supposedly agile) character a chance to either knockdown or reduce his dx due to damage. Next making a HTH attempt requires a 3 vs DX to even get there, unless the defender has no weapon (and no UC talents) then roll the die to see what happens (the normal procedure). Even an animal jumping at a man should have to roll its DX after all it is tough to get into HTH with someone who is ready for it. Finally once in HTH the combatants should not get a +4 to their DX as from my experience and as Rick Smith also mentioned it is usually much harder to land a good blow when rolling on the floor wrestling with some one than it is just standing. I realize this makes HTH harder but in reality it should be harder to get past someone's guard, and this eliminates the 8 DX strong guy jumping on your high DX Polearm or Archer and winning because now his effective DX is 12.

The next thing could be part of an expansion or added into the Kickstarter.

Adding more color to the races: For example way back in The Space Gamer 15 Paul Wagner wrote "Orcs and Their Weapons" there are some good ideas in here, Greater Orcs which are the ITL Orcs (Fighting Uruk-Hai from Tolkien) and Lesser Orcs. Also adding the Warg Hide that reduces MA by 1 instead of DX that no one else will wear because of the smell. Maybe reducing the damage the Great Glaive does, but this would all add flavor to the game. There are many examples maybe an Elvish bow that does 2-1 damage but is 1+2 longbow for anyone else. This gives the Elves not only a wider range of damage but the possibility of getting more crunch out of their weapon. The average would be 6 versus the normal longbows 5.5, however when a good roll comes up 11 damage from an Elf bow really livens up a party especially if the elf is shooting at the party. :-O
Bayarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:04 AM   #736
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Monster illustrations are nice, but to me a higher priority would be facing diagrams (hopefully including an example of counter art) for all monsters which aren't the same as 1-hex humans, 3-hex giants, or 4- or 7-hex dragons, as well as a little more detail about how facing works for oddities such as centaurs and Apep.
I would think those would be included in the section of the rules discussing facing -- especially since they were a key element in Steve's original designer's notes and errata in the Spacegamer back in 1981 or so. For the Beastiary, ILLUSTRATIONS would be nice.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:08 AM   #737
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea View Post
The next thing could be part of an expansion or added into the Kickstarter.

Adding more color to the races: For example way back in The Space Gamer 15 Paul Wagner wrote "Orcs and Their Weapons" there are some good ideas in here, Greater Orcs which are the ITL Orcs (Fighting Uruk-Hai from Tolkien) and Lesser Orcs. Also adding the Warg Hide that reduces MA by 1 instead of DX that no one else will wear because of the smell. Maybe reducing the damage the Great Glaive does, but this would all add flavor to the game. There are many examples maybe an Elvish bow that does 2-1 damage but is 1+2 longbow for anyone else. This gives the Elves not only a wider range of damage but the possibility of getting more crunch out of their weapon. The average would be 6 versus the normal longbows 5.5, however when a good roll comes up 11 damage from an Elf bow really livens up a party especially if the elf is shooting at the party. :-O
Actually this is a GREAT idea for a future splat book -- a la GURPS' Fantasy Folk...
Old 03-27-2018, 05:46 AM   #738
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Actually this is a GREAT idea for a future splat book -- a la GURPS' Fantasy Folk...
Another thing I would like to see expanded and "officially" quantified would be MORE flora.

As it stands now, I think (off the top of my head) we only have: Am Bushes, Bloodtrees, and Mushrooms; that's a pretty short list.

Thoughts?

JK
Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #739
JLV

I've cheerfully cannibalized ideas from other games and novels over the years -- carnivorous grass, Tangletrees, wicker creatures, shambling mounds, etc.

One of the very nice things about TFT is how easy it is to translate creatures like that into TFT terms...

But yes, by all means more flora. In fact, I think we can best characterize my position on creatures for the Beastiary as "MOAR EVERYTHING!!!"
Old 03-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #740
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
I've cheerfully cannibalized ideas from other games and novels over the years -- carnivorous grass, Tangletrees, wicker creatures, shambling mounds, etc.
Yes, I do the same, but it still would be great to have SJ read your post and give the game "official" quantified states and play-rules for these "Classics of FRPG flora"... plus whatever other devious surprises of his own, which he might throw in there.

Thoughts?

JK

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard