Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Quick Question: Pricing Elemental Modular Abilties

I'm creating my own elementals for my campaign and I've dumped the idea of them using standard Magic for Modular Abilities. I've decided this would be a form of Super-Memorization. The example being that the air elemental has to change between his power of turning into a cyclone and shooting bolts of lightning.

However, I don't know how to price the limitations for it. It's Physical Only, but I don't know what limitations there would be for an elemental only being able to work with what their body... Well... Can give. I was thinking something along an Environmental limitation as well as a limitation that mirrors the effects of One College Only because the elemental can only use powers that reflect their element.

Thoughts? The cheaper the better...
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #2
munin

Default Re: Quick Question: Pricing Elemental Modular Abilties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
... I don't know what limitations there would be for an elemental only being able to work with what their body... Well... Can give. ...
For a modular ability this is Focus-Limited, Air, -10% (p. P63), plus Trait-Limited, Advantages Only, -10% (i.e., no skills).

Super-Memorization requires a book to memorize from -- is that your intent? For a being who just changes their abilities without cost (books, chips, etc.), significant time (minutes, at least), or being subject to external interference consider Slotted Cosmic Power (7/slot + 5/point, GURPS Psionic Powers, p. 15).

Unless you put a number of significant limitations on the modular ability, or have many many abilities, alternative abilities will likely be cheaper than a modular ability.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elementals, elements, limitations, modular abilities, modular ability