Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 05-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #21
tHEhERETIC

Default Re: In Nomine: the Pacific War (OOC)

Wrote an ending for MHC--now to remember/figure out how to archive it all. Rebuttals, Easter eggs, and last words are perfectly okay with me.

I did write an opening for TPW, but it's on the computer at work. Of course. RocketMan your Creationer...is he IST to another AA? Or is he just rather independent-minded?

Andygal--any thoughts/feedback on how I should run Jean? He shows up in your opening scene, giving instructions.

Opening for established characters I'm still figuring out details. But you're all going to crash into each other at the Pacific World Bank offices. You know, unless you have a better idea that amuses us all more.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #22
ladyarcana55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Opening for established characters I'm still figuring out details. But you're all going to crash into each other at the Pacific World Bank offices. You know, unless you have a better idea that amuses us all more.
Sunae would have gotten another job at an Asian restaurant as a cook, so going there would be an interesting way to break the ice, otherwise they would have to schedule it.
ladyarcana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
I did write an opening for TPW, but it's on the computer at work. Of course. RocketMan your Creationer...is he IST to another AA? Or is he just rather independent-minded?
I'm thinking about having him IST David, but I'll work out those details tonight and have something to you in the morning, Mountain time.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #24
Andygal

In other news, I finished off the crunchy bits for my character late last night and started on the fluff.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
tHEhERETIC

RocketMan/Andygal--

This is a rough outline of your opening scene. I'd like you to take it, customize it, and post it as part of your character's introduction. This will get you to the location--Ryuki's office--and give you a reason to be there. Your characters will arrive before the more established PC's, and may arrive separately.

It was not like (your Superior) to lie to you. Surely he had his reasons--surely he was lying. The the whole thing just didn't make any sense otherwise.

“(name),” he said. “I have a sensitive mission I need you to complete. We have a new...contractor in San Francisco, one who supposedly can acquire or create unique talismans--even relics. I'd like to put his skills to the test. I want you to go to this address,” he hands you a business card, “and speak to Ryuki. Do not discuss this business with anyone else, and be aware that his father has a similar name. You want the young guy of average height, not the short older man. Tell him we wish to acquire the 'Mighty Squeaky Hammer of Smiting'. For payment, you have this.” (Sup) hands you a scroll, clean and new but done on old-fashioned parchment.

“Bring me back any replies he might have.”

My objectives for the scene:

The 'Mighty Squeaky Hammer' is a MacGuffin in this case, something which your character might figure out, or not. Your Superior's intent is to see whether you can work with the notoriously difficult Ryuki, before putting you on a task force that includes him.
That, and your Superior was consulting with Dominic. Dominic has discovered that the young sorcerer likes playing mind games with angels, and has used this once or twice to test inexperienced servitors on dealing with life on the ground. It has the bonus effect of entertaining Ryuki, who has not yet officially chosen a Superior.
The scroll, which only one of you has, is actually a rejection letter from Dominic. Ryuki asked to serve Judgement but is being rejected, since the old seraph believes lying to protect his cover will be too costly in the long run. One of you has the scroll but might not know what it is--the other has a verbal message from Dominic explaining his reasons. (The lies are onerous, but D would still like to work with him from time to time, through whatever Superior he ends up with.)

Those are the lines--have fun coloring them in.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM   #26
Rocket Man

Quick question: Is the "average Role" paid for out of our starting character points, or is that in addition to what we start with?

Old 05-19-2011, 09:29 PM   #27
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Man View Post
Quick question: Is the "average Role" paid for out of our starting character points, or is that in addition to what we start with?
"In addition, take one average Role." So no, doesn't cost you any points.

MHC I micromanaged character creation--
9 Forces
average Role
three supernatural powers (Songs, attunements, Distinctions)
12 points in skills
near-unlimited Rites.

However, I failed to communicate that effectively. Players were cool anyway, so I'm not worried that I've failed on that once again. While I was burned badly by minmaxxers in the distant past, that was not here and not recent.
--------------------nonbumpiness
Established characters...8 CP sounds good?

Last edited by tHEhERETIC; 05-19-2011 at 09:38 PM.
tHEhERETIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #28
Rocket Man

Quote:
"In addition, take one average Role." So no, doesn't cost you any points.

MHC I micromanaged character creation--
9 Forces
average Role
three supernatural powers (Songs, attunements, Distinctions)
12 points in skills
near-unlimited Rites.

However, I failed to communicate that effectively. Players were cool anyway, so I'm not worried that I've failed on that once again. While I was burned badly by minmaxxers in the distant past, that was not here and not recent.
Thank you! And yeah, I'm not the minimax type. (But remind me to share stories sometime.)

Old 05-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #29
Rocket Man

Ladies and gentlemen, meet your newest Virtue, Eumolpius AKA "Kane Kineman." I'll leave the stats aside for now, though a full character sheet is available for the curious. Meanwhile, here's the background:

Kane Kineman is an easygoing, good-natured country singer who spends most of his time playing the honky-tonks and county fairs of the Inland Empire. It’s easy to like him, even easier to dismiss him as a threat. And that’s the last thing a lot of demons ever do – a Creation Virtue may be laid-back by his Choir’s standards, but he’s still a Virtue, after all.

First sent to Earth in the 19th century, Eumolpius has a genuine love for the music that he’s seen grow from humble roots. To his mind, it’s a music that brings people together better than any other; the joke about the “American Honky-Tonk Bar Association” has some seeds of truth to it. That may be why the Boss passed him over to David for a while. Stone has appreciated Kane’s level head and patient outlook (“I don’t start many fights, but I finish all of ‘em”), even as it winces at his tendency to reach for the nearest throwable object in a bar battle. Creationers ....

It’s been hard, though, seeing L.A. so thoroughly taken over by the enemy. But always, it seems, he was considered more valuable where he was, part of the bulwark against any attempt by Hell to expand the bridgehead.

Until now.

Maybe it was some curious idea of Eli’s or some deep decision of David’s. Maybe he just happened to be closest when the need arose. But for whatever reason, the country-boy Creationer is being sent into the ultimate urban environment, part of the force meant to take the city back at last. And fish out of water or not, he’s ready.

It’s finally time to pull on the boots. Dust off the knuckles. And get the Hell out of town.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #30
tHEhERETIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygal View Post
I've got most of the crunchy bits done on a Mercurian of Lightning. Just need to do the background, which is the hard part. Will send sheet when I've got a better idea.
Andygal? You there?

A couple possible openings to jump in, if you like.

If your Mercurian is a new fledge, or at least has never been on the ground, that's a simple reason to send him to Ryuki--to show the new fledge how to deal with difficult people. Jean would simply have off timing in that case.

Ryuki's family were translators for much of their history. Not sure how you could use that.

Being a sorcerer, he's prone to gremlins. Jean might use that to send in a technician, perhaps intercepted the invitation in its electronic form and doesn't want to be left out of Michael's plans, whatever they are, this time around.

Tags
in nomine