Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
RyanW

Default Cheap powers

I have a player in my new fantasy campaign playing a shaman who has a few small Modular Abilities slots (3, 5, and 6 point capacity). I find myself in need of more small powers than I have time to create. There was a 50-point power thread. How about one for low point abilities?

The goal is balanced and interesting, not to break the game mechanics.

ETA: Each MA represents a talisman that a spirit can be bound to, granting the shaman a slice of power. Magic in the setting trends lower powered, but not necessarily subtle.

Last edited by RyanW; 07-11-2018 at 11:22 PM.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Cheap powers

Commune with the Ancestors (-50%): Channeling (Aware, +50%; Cost FP, 10 FP, -50%; Preparation Required, 1 hour, -50%; Reliable, +10, +50%; Specialized, Ghosts Only, -50%) [5]. The shaman spends an hour in ritual preparation before opening herself to the ghosts of her people for one minute during a partial trance. While she is open to the spiritual, she is aware of the events around her and possesses supreme control over the situation (gaining +10 on Will rolls to enter the partial trance and to resist Possession during the partial trance).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 PM   #3
whswhs

What are the standard limitations on powers? Or are they built into the MA as such?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 AM   #4
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
ETA: Each MA represents a talisman that a spirit can be bound to, granting the shaman a slice of power. Magic in the setting trends lower powered, but not necessarily subtle.
Sorry for not statting them out, but a few ideas, needing appropriate Limitations:
  • ST/HT/HP/FP/DR bonuses- based on animal totems, such as Strength of the Bear Spirit or Hide of the Rhino Spirit
  • See Invisible (Ghosts/Spirits Only)
  • Skills- as ancestral memories, or combat skills
  • Animal Senses- Discriminatory Smell/Hearing, Telescopic Vision (Eyes of the Eagle Spirit)
  • Telekinetic Spirit Wind
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What are the standard limitations on powers? Or are they built into the MA as such?
The power modifier is already built into the Modular Ability. So the ability within would mostly be built as though it were a wild ability on the character sheet.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The power modifier is already built into the Modular Ability. So the ability within would mostly be built as though it were a wild ability on the character sheet.
Got it. Let me give it some thought.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
Extrarius

"Ablate"
Corrosion Attack(Damage Limitation: No Wounding -50%; Melee Attack: Reach C -30%) is 2 cp/die, and +1 damage counts as 0.3 die, so +5 damage is 1.5 die or 3 points to remove 1 DR per attack (though it will only damage DR, it could be really helpful if you're incarcerated or a lock, door, bars, etc is otherwise blocking your path).

"Ignite"
Burning Attack(Damage 1pt *0.25; Damage Limitation: No Wounding -50%; Melee Attack: Reach C -30%; Damage Modifier: Incindiary 3* +130%) is [3] and will ignite anything except "Nonflammable" materials instantly in a single try.
*From Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Incindary 3 is +30% and requires Cosmic +100%

"Get Back!"
Crushing Attack (Damage Limitation: No Blunt Trauma -20%; Damage Limitation: No Wounding -50%; Damage Modifier: Double Knockback +20%; Melee Attack: Reach 1 -25%; Melee Attack: Cannot Parry -5%) is 1 cp/die, so for 20 damage that would be 6 die for 6 points. It deals 40 'knockback damage' to anybody at just the right range to shove, which would knock an average ST 10 person back 5 yards, or a monsterous ST 22 creature gets knocked back 2 yards.

Last edited by Extrarius; 07-12-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote