Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
Belisar

Default Re: Banestorm adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by namada View Post
Why, exactly, if I may ask? The setting, as it's written, is chock-full of adventure possibilities, what do you actually need a prewritten adventure for?
a) I am new to GURPS and have been mostly a player and not a GM in the past, so I think it will be helpful to study how GURPS adventures are structured and b) if I want to win my group over for GURPS I prefer to rely on a premade adventure for security measures.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 PM   #12
namada
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
a) I am new to GURPS and have been mostly a player and not a GM in the past, so I think it will be helpful to study how GURPS adventures are structured
I see. Being a new GM then, you should know that most GM's don't rely on prewritten adventures because they usually require too much work to actually use, and most players derail the thing in 5 minutes anyway, making the text completely pointless. You should Google 'Lazy GM' & study that instead.

As for Banestorm-specific adventures, be sure to check out the old 3E supplements, I think they all include a premade adventure.

As for being new to GURPS, you're in the best place here, keep asking questions. And remember, NPC's are NOT the same as player characters, they don't need anything close to a full workup in character points. If you can't fit them on an index card, or less, you're doing it wrong. ;)
That's probably the best advice any new GURPS GM can get, just give NPC's a "challenge level" of 12 to 20, and any relevant roll that NPC needs to make is equal to that number. So, for example:

Merchant CL-18/12

That means, for anything related to being a merchant, roll as if 18, otherwise it's 12... Simple.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belisar View Post
b) if I want to win my group over for GURPS I prefer to rely on a premade adventure for security measures.
Ok, but no, I have to disagree. Winning your players over to GURPS simply requires giving them a good time. Make them feel awesome about their choices, not just in the sense of the actions they take, but also in the choices they made on their character sheets. Premade adventures will only hamper that process by encouraging you to railroad the players down your premade plot.
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #13
Belisar

Quote:
I see. Being a new GM then, you should know that most GM's don't rely on prewritten adventures because they usually require too much work to actually use, and most players derail the thing in 5 minutes anyway, making the text completely pointless. You should Google 'Lazy GM' & study that instead.

As for Banestorm-specific adventures, be sure to check out the old 3E supplements, I think they all include a premade adventure.

As for being new to GURPS, you're in the best place here, keep asking questions. And remember, NPC's are NOT the same as player characters, they don't need anything close to a full workup in character points. If you can't fit them on an index card, or less, you're doing it wrong. ;)
That's probably the best advice any new GURPS GM can get, just give NPC's a "challenge level" of 12 to 20, and any relevant roll that NPC needs to make is equal to that number. So, for example:

Merchant CL-18/12

That means, for anything related to being a merchant, roll as if 18, otherwise it's 12... Simple.

Ok, but no, I have to disagree. Winning your players over to GURPS simply requires giving them a good time. Make them feel awesome about their choices, not just in the sense of the actions they take, but also in the choices they made on their character sheets. Premade adventures will only hamper that process by encouraging you to railroad the players down your premade plot.
Thats good advice, I will keep it in mind. I'm probably putting too many thoughts into making a perfect entry into GURPS for them.
And yes, I see your point, making up an own story will give me more control over the flow of the game.
Belisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
And remember, NPC's are NOT the same as player characters, they don't need anything close to a full workup in character points. If you can't fit them on an index card, or less, you're doing it wrong.
I wouldn't say "wrong" (there are holdouts in these forums that do full NPC write ups), but there are a bunch of us that will think you're doing way more work than is necessary.

I mean, I don't even use item cards unless the NPC has a name...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote