Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
Cowrie

Default "Resurrection Machine" Metatronic Generator

I'm working on a Metatronic Generator that can bring people back to life when a sufficient amount of their remains are put inside the Generator. As of right now, the advantage write-up for the generator is:

Affliction 1 (HT; Advantages, Regeneration (Fast; Cosmic, Works on the Dead, +50%) and Unkillable 2 (Cosmic, Works on the Dead, +50%), +2250%; Apparatus, +0%; Contact Agent, -30%; Extended Duration, x100, +80%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Only on the Dead, -15%; Superscience, -10%) [234]

I have a few questions. First of all, am I correct in understanding that the advantage for this sort of Metatronic Generator is an affliction granting Regeneration and Unkillable, not the advantages themselves?

Also, since the remains need to be placed inside the Generator, do you think it would be fair to give the Internal (x1/5) modifier to the affliction instead of Contact Agent?

Considering I want the advantages to end as soon as the person reaches positive HP and wakes up from Unkillable, should I add a Terminal Condition limitation, or do you think Only on the Dead covers that?

Finally, does the value I pegged Only on the Dead at seem fair?
Cowrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #2
Rupert

Default Re: "Resurrection Machine" Metatronic Generator

Powers, p.151 has Resurrection, which is similar to yours except it only uses Unkillable 1. The value for 'only on the dead' is the same, and the Powers doesn't include a terminal condition modifier, so you're good, I think.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowrie View Post
Affliction 1 (HT; Advantages, Regeneration (Fast; Cosmic, Works on the Dead, +50%) and Unkillable 2 (Cosmic, Works on the Dead, +50%), +2250%; Apparatus, +0%; Contact Agent, -30%; Extended Duration, x100, +80%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Melee Attack, Reach C, Cannot Parry, -35%; Only on the Dead, -15%; Superscience, -10%) [234]

I have a few questions. First of all, am I correct in understanding that the advantage for this sort of Metatronic Generator is an affliction granting Regeneration and Unkillable, not the advantages themselves?

Also, since the remains need to be placed inside the Generator, do you think it would be fair to give the Internal (x1/5) modifier to the affliction instead of Contact Agent?

Considering I want the advantages to end as soon as the person reaches positive HP and wakes up from Unkillable, should I add a Terminal Condition limitation, or do you think Only on the Dead covers that?

Finally, does the value I pegged Only on the Dead at seem fair?
I don't recall if the Powers Resurrection build was superseded, but there, the Only On Dead is assumed in the Cosmic.

Internal doesn't seem called for to me, but something like a normal (minor) limitation "Remains must be placed inside". YMMV :)
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #4
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I don't recall if the Powers Resurrection build was superseded, but there, the Only On Dead is assumed in the Cosmic.
It was still the standard in 2011 when Powers - Divine Favor was published. That work had another option for resurrection as well - one that granted the dead a use of Extra Life, paid for retroactively out of the dead person's points (free first, and then by consuming traits to pay for it).

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote