Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 AM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: How would you build this advantage?

To answer the title, "How would you build this advantage?"...

I wouldn't. It's clearly NPC territory. But if I had to, I'd take allot of advice here, but I would also consider this
(See this thread... http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=394334)

You don't need Affliction to grant powers to your Allies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I'd argue that the way to do it would be to take Dominance (p. B50) at a flat 20 points and start buying Allies at the usual price. My reasoning for this is straightforward. The ability to give Allies powers is worth nothing to you per se. Two things are worth points, though:

1. Having Allies with powers. You pay for this when you buy Allies. If the Allies have enough powers, they cost more points as Allies. It's really quite irrelevant whether they had their powers originally or got them from you. What matters is their final point level after considering their powers.

2. Making new Allies whenever you have the points. You pay for this when you buy Dominance. The fact that you create willing Allies who lose their powers if they break a Pact, and not slave Allies per se, is a +0% special effect; the important thing is that they're in some way beholden to you. Likewise, the fact that your Allies' powers are something other than the ability to create new Allies for you is a +0% special effect; the important thing is that the Allies have some power that benefits you.

Only use Affliction when you can give anybody, Ally or not, powers. The game has rules for permanent Afflictions, and note that Extended Duration, Permanent costs +300% instead of +150% unless it has a built-in terminal condition . . . so certainly, if you can go about granting advantages to people who aren't Allies, it's easy enough to rig. "Doesn't obey a Pact" is an entirely valid terminal condition -- and it can screw you, since unless you have infallible subjects, they'll inevitably violate their Pact in some small way and suddenly end up powerless even when you would have forgiven them their indiscretion. More important, your enemies can tempt your empowered pals to stray, thereby disempowering your bodyguards and followers.
So any Ally you buy individually (rather than as part of a group) you can grant special powers to. So for a point a head your 5% point total Ally who always appears (.2 X 4), can have whatever powers you want.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #12
JCurwen3

Default Re: How would you build this advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
To answer the title, "How would you build this advantage?"...

I wouldn't. It's clearly NPC territory. But if I had to, I'd take allot of advice here, but I would also consider this
(See this thread... http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?p=394334)

You don't need Affliction to grant powers to your Allies.

So any Ally you buy individually (rather than as part of a group) you can grant special powers to. So for a point a head your 5% point total Ally who always appears (.2 X 4), can have whatever powers you want.
As a comment on Kromm's post, the +150% Permanent would be a bad idea for the reason he mentioned.

On the other hand, you can grant permanent advantages with a Pact by using the +300% Permanent duration, and afflicting advantages that have the Pact limitation instead. The Pact would be on the "embedded" advantage(s) hence reducing the Advantage(s) enhancement on the Affliction. Damn expensive though. But it's how you could grant abilities to anyone permanently but they need to follow a Pact.

Looks like this Dominance + buying Allies solution was more what was the goal and much more cost effective as well (then again, if we're talking gods and species-creators, costs probably are more an intellectual exercise / curiosity).

Tags
create, divine