Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
Ragabash Moon

Default Illusionary Attacks ie Fireballs and Parlor Tricks?

I was recently thinking of a way to do magic where it's all about belief, if you don't beleive it can't hurt you. So, I was thinking the best way to do this would be to use the Illusion power, plus Mental and Stigmata.

Now, the question is, can my "wizard" throw a fireball at you, and assuming you believe it, you then catch on fire and burn as per the rules of stigmata? It seems this would work, just want to be sure.

Also, am I right in understanding that others will see the correct wounds, but no evidence? Like your mind will cause actual burns to appear (like the infamous lighter/ice cube experiment), or is it totally all in your head and it's still no damage others can see?

Now, that still leaves the thing of lighting candles from a distance and other parlor tricks, any suggestions on how to do such a thing with this scenario?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.

Last edited by Ragabash Moon; 11-03-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Illusionary Attacks ie Fireballs and Parlor Tricks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
I was recently thinking of a way to do magic where it's all about belief, if you don't beleive it can't hurt you. So, I was thinking the best way to do this would be to use the Illusion power, plus Mental and Stigmata.

Now, the question is, can my "wizard" throw a fireball at you, and assuming you believe it, you then catch on fire and burn as per the rules of stigmata? It seems this would work, just want to be sure.
You wouldn't really catch on fire. You'd just take injury as is you were on fire.

\
Quote:
Now, that still leaves the thing of lighting candles from a distance and other parlor tricks, any suggestions on how to do such a thing with this scenario?
Can't really be done. A mental illusion won't provide any illumination and candles don't have minds to fool.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
You wouldn't really catch on fire. You'd just take injury as is you were on fire.

\

Can't really be done. A mental illusion won't provide any illumination and candles don't have minds to fool.
Well, right I know you wouldn't really catch on fire, but what I mean is you would still get actual burns and such, right? It wouldn't just be purely psychological?

As for the parlor tricks, I know that but that's kind of why I was asking, other ways to do minor things like that beyond the illusions... hmmm the ignition perk?

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 AM   #4
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragabash Moon View Post
Well, right I know you wouldn't really catch on fire, but what I mean is you would still get actual burns and such, right? It wouldn't just be purely psychological?

As for the parlor tricks, I know that but that's kind of why I was asking, other ways to do minor things like that beyond the illusions... hmmm the ignition perk?
Yes, there would be actual burns. For lighting candles, that's Pyrokinesis, with an Accessibility: Only on candles limitation.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illusion, illusions, magic, parlor tricks