Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
hackbarth

Default Sample Characters for GURPS 4e

I'm preparing a fantasy game to run in a convention, and searching for example characters I found this page:
http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/characters/

Which is excellent! But they are for the 3e. I will convert some but that will be much more work than I first intended to take. Is there any page with fantasy characters ready and using 4e rules?

GURPS 4e is the great lure to draw players to my table, 3e was realy big here in Brazil and old timers are curious to see the 4e, but few people like me get to buy the books and understand the still unstranlated rules.

Would be very nice if they could use 4e characters that they could take home with them. Would keep them interested in the system after the con if they keep a piece of it. (If I do the conversion on paper, I will keep the sheets to use again later, I'll put my work in them after all)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Sample Characters for GURPS 4e

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackbarth
I'm preparing a fantasy game to run in a convention, and searching for example characters I found this page:

Which is excellent! But they are for the 3e. I will convert some but that will be much more work than I first intended to take. Is there any page with fantasy characters ready and using 4e rules?

GURPS 4e is the great lure to draw players to my table, 3e was realy big here in Brazil and old timers are curious to see the 4e, but few people like me get to buy the books and understand the still unstranlated rules.

Would be very nice if they could use 4e characters that they could take home with them. Would keep them interested in the system after the con if they keep a piece of it. (If I do the conversion on paper, I will keep the sheets to use again later, I'll put my work in them after all)
Why not make some characters of your own? You can steal a lot from the templates in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #3
hackbarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
Why not make some characters of your own? You can steal a lot from the templates in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1.
This is the obvious solution, but I wished to point that this amazing resource existed for GURPS 3e and not for GURPS 4e.

There are some problems with one person making all the chars, the groups becomes somewhat 'bland'. But the principal reason is that I simply don't have the time, I got to find about the con on extremely short-notice (it's today, 14:00) and needed something real quick!

This time I will use the sheets as-is, and adapt them for my later use as a very unofficial MiB. (I never miss an oportunity to GM GURPS to a beginner group)
Old 07-13-2008, 07:24 AM   #4
griffin

Quote:

Do you have GURPS Character Assistant (GCA)? If you have that and the GURPS Update document, the conversion tends to be rather trivial. It also means you can print out the characters and keep the original on file in GCA.
I frequently start with characters taken from GURPS Warriors, Wizards, or Rogues converted to GURPS 4e format and then modified to fit my needs.

GCA does require Windows to run, but I believe it will work under Linux using Wine.

What type of game are you planning to run?
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Captain Joy

Quote:
...example characters ...:
Has this been there all along?

I really wish the GURPS wiki would catch on. It's be nice to have only one place to look for fan based characters, ships, vehicles, monsters, adventures, etc.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #6
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Is there any page with fantasy characters ready and using 4e rules?
There are five characters - an entire adventuring party - linked from the Banestorm page; look at the bottom of the sidebar on the left side of that webpage.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:36 PM   #7
griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy
Has this been there all along?

I really wish the GURPS wiki would catch on. It's be nice to have only one place to look for fan based characters, ships, vehicles, monsters, adventures, etc.
Well you could add a link pointing to these characters. Although, it looks to me like GURPSWiki is specific to 4e and these are all 3e. See the post that has the Banestorm characters for one with 4e compliant characters that you could supply a link to from the GURPSWiki.
griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #8
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

I did the original set-up for those characters, and eventually transferred them over -- they're fanwork hosted on the SJgames server, basically. (So any of them that don't have a "by" credit? Are mine.) The webmaster cleaned them up a while back, format wise, and we yoinked out all the ones that were potential copyright issues.

I'd suggest, for conversion, grabbing a 4e GURPS character generator and dropping the numbers into them. Pick non-psionics!!!! Mages ought to convert relatively easily. You'll have to tweak to get round numbers, but some of those characters were really pretty simple, mechanics-wise.

I don't have a 4e GURPS character app/excel page, or else I might take a stab at some of them. (I'm on a Mac with Intel outside -- the kid's the one with the Mactel machine.)

Edit: I'd also suggest starting with the 75-point characters, to account for point-growth when the attributes become more expensive, and the lack of half-points makes itself known. What kind of campaign were you thinking of, again?

Last edited by Archangel Beth; 07-14-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Archangel Beth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, sample character