Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #41
mstlaurent

Default Re: New G.E.V. Edition?

Ah, we were all wrong. It's an Ogre miniatures Kickstarter.
mstlaurent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 08:56 AM   #42
brettd

OK, so I'm stupid. how do I order more than one set?
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #43
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettd View Post
OK, so I'm stupid. how do I order more than one set?
Just pledge more money and at the end tell them how you want to use it (eg, pledge $90 if you want 3 sets). With backerKit, apparently you can also tack on more money after the funding to order more sets, too.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:23 AM   #44
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Just pledge more money and at the end tell them how you want to use it (eg, pledge $90 if you want 3 sets). With backerKit, apparently you can also tack on more money after the funding to order more sets, too.
Better to do it all during funding, though. More goals met for us all, and more hype for SJGames.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 01:23 PM   #45
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalend View Post
Better to do it all during funding, though. More goals met for us all, and more hype for SJGames.
Yes, and yes.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #46
mstlaurent

I just supported the Ogre Miniatures Kickstarter for two sets. Which means that, exactly forty years after I bought my first Ogre game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstlaurent View Post
He's nine, which is, coincidentally, the exact age I was when I discovered Ogre in 1977.

I was laughing about it with my wife last night. When I bought Ogre back then, I had no idea what I was getting. The only reference I had was those sets of plastic army men they advertised in the backs of comic books, which I had bought scores of. So I ordered it thinking that I was going to get a whole set of miniature futuristic plastic tanks. Instead, I got, well, a microgame with a paper map and a bunch of cardboard counters. I was so disappointed. But then I started reading it, and I realized that this was a whole new level. I actually wound up using it as a model to go back and write miniature rules for all those plastic toy kits I'd bought from the comic books.

So now, here I am, almost forty years later, buying an edition of Ogre for my son that actually has little miniature model Ogres in it. It feels like I've come full circle. LOL
I'm going to finally get my little plastic tanks. :-)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #47
Mack_JB

Not on topic, per se'; but am I dreaming or remembering poorly.

There used to be a game shop in St. Louis called "Rivendell" (it was in the Old Orchard section of Webster Groves).

I recall seeing there, circa 1978 or 1979, carded blister packs of cast resin Ogre miniatures, at least the HVY and a GEV. They were cast in the clearish amber epoxy resins one saw around that era, not opaque resin.

They aren't in the Ogre Ludography online here at SJG, so I have to assume they were not authorized products?
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:13 PM   #48
brettd

There used to be a game shop in St. Louis called "Rivendell" (it was in the Old Orchard section of Webster Groves).

I am typing this about a half mile from Old Orchard. No such shop now :( , but the more things change, the more they stay the same - there is an outstanding FLGS less than a mile away - Game Nite on Watson Road. They carry all the SJG stuff, even having had copies of ODE.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:25 PM   #49
mstlaurent

Quote:

I am typing this about a half mile from Old Orchard. No such shop now :( , but the more things change, the more they stay the same - there is an outstanding FLGS less than a mile away - Game Nite on Watson Road. They carry all the SJG stuff, even having had copies of ODE.
Oh, gosh, all the game stores I played at when I was young are long gone. I'm fairly sure the owners are long gone too, unfortunately. I bought GEV (along with a bazillion other games and miniatures, some of which I still have) at The War Club up in La Canada, California. And I spent many weekends, probably a significant fraction of my teenage years, playing games at The Last Grenadier in Burbank.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:58 PM   #50
Mack_JB

Quote:
I don't recall when it closed, maybe 1981 or 1982? I know it was gone when I moved back here from California in August of 1983.

For Brettd, since no one else is around, the shop was located at about 8141 Big Bend --either where the "Dvin" restaurant is now, or maybe the pottery place?

Last edited by Mack_JB; 11-30-2016 at 04:15 PM.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote