Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2014, 03:17 AM   #1
Dammann

Default [DF] Looking for drink prices

My group includes a player with a character who is an ogre who likes to drink. He has decided that beer is too weak, and they all have a bit of money now. I am wondering if there is any guidance in any of the DF (or other) books on liquor prices. Should I just use the prices in DF 10? $2 for cheap ale, up to $12 for liquor or glass of wine?
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #2
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: [DF] Looking for drink prices

Why not increase his weekly cost of living, instead of worrying about the price of individual drinks servings? IIRC the baseline is $150/week, which is proper for a Status 0 adventurer. Someone who wants stronger drink should pay a weekly CoL for Status 1 or even Status 2.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:45 AM   #3
Dammann

Not a bad idea.

We've been tracking it for him, since I let him take Drunken Fighting (PU2:5) as a Perk. Alcohol rules might be a little finicky for DF, but it has given me a little bit of old-school-adversarial-GM delight watching him try to get his character drunk in time for fights.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
DangerousThing

How much does it take an ogre to get drunk?
DangerousThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:44 AM   #5
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
Should I just use the prices in DF 10? $2 for cheap ale, up to $12 for liquor or glass of wine?
I can't see why not. If DF10 establishes drink prices in the DF world, that ought to be fine.

You can justify higher prices too, if you want. And as personalised swag, such GM-inventions as dwarven ale [$10 pint], elven wine [$600 per bottle] and triple-distilled alchemical spirits [$40 a shot] would be fine. Fiddle around with the prices at will and add interesting effects for the most expensive and exotic brands.

Economic simulation is not necessary in DF, so base prices on what seems fair to you for the benefit and entertainment value derived by the player.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
My group includes a player with a character who is an ogre who likes to drink. He has decided that beer is too weak, and they all have a bit of money now. I am wondering if there is any guidance in any of the DF (or other) books on liquor prices. Should I just use the prices in DF 10? $2 for cheap ale, up to $12 for liquor or glass of wine?
DF10 does cover all of this, yes -- I'm not sure what else you're looking for as far as liquor prices. I suppose we could've done a "universal bar price sheet" for specific alcohols, but offering a range was deemed superior as it gives the GM a reason to come up with custom "menus" for his own taverns. Such things add a lot of flavor to individual drinking holes, which is why each of the sample taverns got a box on the subject.

As for the strength of the drink, that's subsumed pretty well into the drinking rules themselves. A higher ST means it'll take more drinks to get the ogre drunk. So if his ST is twice that of the rest of the party, he should probably get used to ordering doubles every time if he wants to keep up on the inebriation bandwagon. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #7
SCAR

DF8 also has a few alcohol prices on the Other Materials Table on p13.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:22 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
DF8 also has a few alcohol prices on the Other Materials Table on p13.
Indeed, though those are bulk prices. I'd use DF10 for by-the-drink retail prices and fall back on DF8 for buying alcohol by the bottle or barrel.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:39 AM   #9
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Indeed, though those are bulk prices. I'd use DF10 for by-the-drink retail prices and fall back on DF8 for buying alcohol by the bottle or barrel.
The character in question is an Ogre, he may well be drinking 'bulk' quantities!
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #10
spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAR View Post
The character in question is an Ogre, he may well be drinking 'bulk' quantities!
But is he clever enough to arrange to pay wholesale? If he's IQ 7 with no merchant skills, that would be some out of character shenanigans.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy