Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Taliesin
Banned

Default DF 16 ???

At 56 pages it's the second largest item in the DF line, right behind treasure tables. Any wild guesses about what it's about? I'm hoping for a more detailed treatment of one of the other dungeon fantasy environments. Either City or wilderness adventuring.

Though it could be a supplement giving DF stats for Munchkin monsters...
Taliesin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: DF 16 ???

I think they are due for "Pirates" or something on the "High Seas" for our Viking like Barbarians and Swashbucklers. Second guess would be "Cities and Castles"

But what I'd really LOVE to see would be DF Power Ups 2.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
fschiff

No Fighting-Robots?
fschiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Blind Mapmaker

I would really love to see a more in-depth "Dungeon Builder's Guidebook" full of traps, concealed doors, blind corridors and general nastiness.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 AM   #5
Phantasm

I'm kinda hoping it's DF:Bestiary II, but if it's being touted as "DF 16" and not "DF:B2", it's probably not that.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I would really love to see a more in-depth "Dungeon Builder's Guidebook" full of traps, concealed doors, blind corridors and general nastiness.
I have a Pyramid article that's all about this. But it got rejected because it was too long and table-ridden. Might try submitting it again or maybe propose a book...

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
Kromm wrote it, so probably not.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #8
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I think they are due for "Pirates" or something on the "High Seas" for our Viking like Barbarians and Swashbucklers. Second guess would be "Cities and Castles"

But what I'd really LOVE to see would be DF Power Ups 2.
DF:11 does offer an alternate Talent for the Barbarian, to make him more Viking-like. That does suggest a keen awareness of the possibility of sea-faring adventure.

As for Power Ups, I like them a lot, but what would you like to see in DF: Power Ups 2? DF:11 already covered a lot of things. I'm not sure it'd be particularly doable to even write a 20-page volume with more Power Ups.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
DF:11 does offer an alternate Talent for the Barbarian, to make him more Viking-like. That does suggest a keen awareness of the possibility of sea-faring adventure.

As for Power Ups, I like them a lot, but what would you like to see in DF: Power Ups 2? DF:11 already covered a lot of things. I'm not sure it'd be particularly doable to even write a 20-page volume with more Power Ups.
Here is what been suggested:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
What i would rather see is DF: High Seas that Covers how/what lens are needed for the base 'classes' so that it covers Pirates, Privateers, and Navy. how to run Ship vs Ship, Ship vs Monster (plus stat for some key Sea monsters: Dire Giant Squids, Kraken, Sea Serpents, Sirens etc) and Ship vs Shore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Oh oh! Turning Barbarians into Vikings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Personally, I could get behind this idea more than a new Pirate template. It seems like most pirate/high-sea tropes are adaptable from the dungeon-delving ones, especially in terms of characters. A pirate crew can support a swashbuckling rogue, a sneaky backstabber, a hulking viking, a well-traveled cook*, a cutlass-wielding boarder, etc.

Most of the magic- or power-based classes would probably fall into the category of "Other: Spend 10 fewer points on optional advantages and add the following 10-point seagoing skill package...", but I still think that translation via lenses would produce a better result than trying to shoehorn pirates directly into the dungeon-delving experience. And having sea rules would be excellent.

* And yes, while the bard could apply here, I was thinking innkeeper! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter V. Dell'Orto View Post
[...]That said, Roguebfl's idea of a High Seas book is sheer awesomeness, because you aren't left hoping you have 12,000 words to say about pirates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosignol View Post
Yeah, the more I think about it, 'aquatic' lenses for the existing templates (barbarian+aquatic lens=Viking!) and a supplement about seaborne adventuring in general (ships, monsters, aquatic dungeons, relevant skills, etc) instead of focusing just on the guys singing 'yo-ho-ho' seems like the way to go. Because really, all pirates are is adventurers* who manage to annoy the powers-that-be and (usually) know how to swim...

*okay, they're basically seafaring bandits. But they're seafaring bandits with *style*
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:11 AM   #10
Rasputin

Here's a vote hoping it's NOT Pirates. It's narrow-focused (the supplements with narrow focuses haven't sold well) and should be a separate supplement/sub-line, akin to Action. It involves something most DF-ish games have not done or have only hand-waved (i.e., boats as a narrative device to get from one place to another fast), and is something into which you need to dive whole hog to get use of a supplement. DF Pirates is a bad idea. Bad bad bad bad bad. You could get most of the useful bits (namely, a pirate template) into a Pyramid article.

My hope is that it's Outdoor Adventures, which is part of the genre and can be used piece-by-piece or whole hog. Plus, let's face it, 58 pages means something important.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy