Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week: Ambidexterity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I was taking "wholely unfamiliar" to mean achieving the maximal unfamiliarity penalty, not achieving any unfamiliarity penalty.
Well, okay. I don't think that it matters in comparison to handedness. I shoot better with default and familiarity penalties than I do with a familiar weapon and skill left handed.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #32
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Half your limbs are "off". Off-Hand Weapon Training ignores "off" penalties regardless of limb used.
Is this what we see in nature? First - do animals have handedeness issues? Second- do animals with more than four limbs limbs have handedeness issues? Third - do radially symmetrical animals have handedeness issues? Fourth - why do humans have a handedeness issue?

Looking at making ambidexterity a species trait for extraterrestrial species.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

The more linguistically adept a species is the more handed individuals there are. Parrots have similar proportions to us 85/15 but reversed. Left clawed more common.
The asymmetry tilts with which hemisphere hold the language centers most often. In humans it's the left, with parrots its the right.
I've read that most other animals have an 80/10/10 split with no preference being the most common.
I've read of octopuses having a single preferred limb.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #34
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
why do humans have a handedeness issue?
I've been told — but I did not see the research paper myself — that people with ambidexterity perform slightly worse than people with a distinct handedness at tasks that involve co-ordinated use of both hands, such as aiming a rifle.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
Joseph Paul
Custom User Title

Well then it would seem that terrestrial handedness is generally a function of the growth of one part of the brain for language and the basic model of brains being very similar (though the octopi do bear watching) accounts for it. That may not hold true for extraterrestrial species so I am thinking there is no onus to letting them be ambidextrous. Unless of course handedness would be a trait that crosses species lines because of ancient life seeding programs with the same root stock.....(Cue portentous music)
Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #36
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Paul View Post
That may not hold true for extraterrestrial species so I am thinking there is no onus to letting them be ambidextrous.
If it's supposed to be feature instead of just the Ambidexterity advantage, it needs to have some kind of downside. GURPS racial templates represent differences from humans, not some kind of universal basis.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Handedness is merely specialization. And it's hard to imagine a species that gets the best of both sides without any drawbacks. But life is full of no-fairs, both good and bad.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:30 PM   #38
Purple Haze

I long ago decided that _Ambidexterity_ was a _Hard Technique_ of life. Thus one could buy-off the off-hand penalty in levels.

Though rather than making it 2/3/4/5 I make it 1/2/3/5 to encourage people to take it but leave it at -1. Something I extend to all _Hard Techniques_, it's 1/level but the last is 2.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #39
Vynticator

I often go for Ambidexterity. Also Extra Attack and TBAM. I like someone dangerous with a wide range of skills and weapons. I tend to play very focused assassin types, the advantages above lend themselves to flexible responses to challenges.
Vynticator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:03 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vynticator View Post
I often go for Ambidexterity. Also Extra Attack and TBAM. I like someone dangerous with a wide range of skills and weapons. I tend to play very focused assassin types, the advantages above lend themselves to flexible responses to challenges.
It would be almost mandatory for any cinematic combat monster, I agree.

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, ambidexterity, aotw, basic, off-hand weapon training, week