Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 AM   #21
DataPacRat

Default Re: Life in Space: City on an Asteroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
The coefficient of static friction between hard-compound rubber and typical dry pavement is about 0.8, which means that a vehicle with rubber tyres can accelerate, decelerate, or corner no harder than about 0.8 times local gravity.
:)

And since local gravity is 0.0203 m/s^2... it would take over 9 minutes just to get up to 20 mph, and 25 minutes to accelerate up to 55 mph. And ditto to slow back down. Kinda impractical.

Hm - new vehicular thought: aircraft-carrier-style launch-assist, to give a vehicle an initial boost so it doesn't have to take all that time getting up to speed. However, that still leaves the problem of /de/celerating, not to mention cornering...

Okay - so surface off-road travel is going to be /really/ slow. Let's review the options mentioned so far:

* Rocket hoppers.
* Rail/maglev, with the tracks upside-down.
* Tunnels, driven on the ceiling.
* Slag-surfaced road, driven by gecko-tired vehicles
* Extremely slow-to-start, slow-to-stop, and hard-to-turn offroad surface vehicles
* Ground vehicles launched by cannon and caught by net-or-equivalent, still hard-to-turn.
* A "Crazy Eddie" project: digging straight-line tunnels through the asteroid for gravity-powered trains.

Am I missing any ideas?
"Then again, maybe I'm wrong."
DataPacRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #22
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataPacRat View Post
(And may I say that I just love that there exists a forum where I can ask a completely random question, such as about road-building costs, and someone actually responds with valuable insights? :) )
Who says these games wreck your education?
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #23
Agemegos

Quote:
Am I missing any ideas?
Cable cars. Or (since supporting weight is pretty much insignificant), cable cars.

Are there any marks available for pointing out that this is a hell of a place to live?
Old 12-16-2012, 04:16 AM   #24
DataPacRat

Quote:
Cable cars. Or (since supporting weight is pretty much insignificant), cable cars.
Ah, yes - externally-powered transport. Forgot about that. In a similar vein, we could throw in Heinlein-esque slidewalks for consideration.

Quote:
Are there any marks available for pointing out that this is a hell of a place to live?
Maybe - but more importantly, is it a /good/ heluva place to live, or a /bad/ heluva place to live?
Old 12-16-2012, 05:07 AM   #25
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Am I missing any ideas?
Pneumatic tubes, but that's just a variation on tunnels.

The rocket hoppers and catapult/net methods have a safety problem, in that it's easy for a failure to leave you moving at over escape velocity, which means someone has to come and fetch you. This is reasonably urgent, because you keep on getting further away.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 AM   #26
DataPacRat

Quote:
The coefficient of static friction between hard-compound rubber and typical dry pavement is about 0.8, which means that a vehicle with rubber tyres can accelerate, decelerate, or corner no harder than about 0.8 times local gravity.
Just realized a further complication of this detail - if that's really how hard it is to accelerate to a reasonable speed, then even /shoes/ are going to need the gecko-tech I mentioned earlier. Outside of the centripetal-force gravity train, I should probably describe life on the asteroid more in terms of freefall with a slight-breeze-level force nudging loose objects 'down', rather than in terms of anything approaching allowing normal walking.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #27
hari

This could also be stated up with spaceships. Just refrain from giving it any kind of mobility. And that gives you a third book to play with (or third to tenth or so I suppose).

“The limits of my language mean the limits of my world”
hari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
Agemegos

Quote:
Just realized a further complication of this detail - if that's really how hard it is to accelerate to a reasonable speed, then even /shoes/ are going to need the gecko-tech I mentioned earlier. Outside of the centripetal-force gravity train, I should probably describe life on the asteroid more in terms of freefall with a slight-breeze-level force nudging loose objects 'down', rather than in terms of anything approaching allowing normal walking.
Absolutely! 0.002 gee is much too little for walking. If a person took a normal step it would take two and a half minutes for him or her to come down, and he or she would travel about 300–500 m in a gentle ballistic arc.

Last edited by Agemegos; 12-16-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
Anthony

You can also do roller coaster type tracks, with wheels on both sides of the track, or similar designs using cables instead of tracks (this won't support as high velocities, but it's much cheaper to lay out). For durable loads, you can simply throw them into a catch net at the other end, you need 25-30 m/s to reliably throw to anywhere on the asteroid.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-16-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM   #30
DataPacRat

Quote:
Absolutely! 0.002 gee is much too little for walking. If a person took a normal step it would take two and a half minutes for him or her to come down, and he or she would travel about 300–500 m in a gentle ballistic arc.
And there's one way the established locals can have fun with any newly-arrived greenhorns, especially dislikable ones like bureaucrats... <scribbles notes>