Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
vierasmarius

Default Re: two-bladed sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin Rabbit View Post
I'm not really into Trek (so I could be 100% wrong), but it sounds almost like you are looking for something similar to the Klingon bat'leth. I bet somebody on the internet has done a GURPS Star Trek.
That's a very different weapon, more akin to the Quan Kun Ri Yue Dao from MA and LT. The Trek version is probably heavier (it might do more damage) but poorly balanced (-1 or -2 skill without the Exotic Weapon perk).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Refplace

Quote:
When you described this, the first thing I thought of was the "gridaksma" from GURPS Myth. Those are 1h though and I think the OP/TC (what do you guys call the thread creator here?) wanted a 2H weapon.

I'm not really into Trek (so I could be 100% wrong), but it sounds almost like you are looking for something similar to the Klingon bat'leth. I bet somebody on the internet has done a GURPS Star Trek.
Yeah versions of it have been written up and talked about but most really think its a lousy weapon.
I dont really see the problem with it as there was a real life weapon that was similar. See above for a picture.
I would think it does less damage overall because your not getting the leverage.
However it would have the parry ability of a staff with hand protection and a metal and heavier build.

EDIT
The stats for Quan Kun Ri Yue Dao used with Staff or Brawling/Karate actually look pretty reasonable to me though I would add a technique that allows you to swing it for R2 SW+2 Parry U probably built off a committed (Strong) or All Out Attack where your swinging it more like a pole axe.
Good for a dramatic finishing blow, or hacking a door not wise in combat.
I always thought it was a cool looking weapon that made sense in corridor or tunnel combat.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 06-21-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The Trek version is probably heavier (it might do more damage)
I don't think we have any idea what the density of duranium is, but it's probably less than titanium-steel alloys. The props were aluminum.
Quote:
but poorly balanced (-1 or -2 skill without the Exotic Weapon perk).
This is already the case with the Qian Kun Ri Yue Dao. Do you mean in addition to the existing penalty?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is already the case with the Qian Kun Ri Yue Dao. Do you mean in addition to the existing penalty?
I'd forgotten about that. Yeah, it would have at least the same penalty as the QKRYD, or -1 more. This might be countered by it being an Ethnic Cool weapon, of course (LTC2:16).
Old 06-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Ronin Rabbit
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
That's a very different weapon, more akin to the Quan Kun Ri Yue Dao from MA and LT. The Trek version is probably heavier (it might do more damage) but poorly balanced (-1 or -2 skill without the Exotic Weapon perk).
::sighs::

EVERY. TIME. Log in, post... and I'm about to spend money LOL

I get that they are different though, just seemed similar enough for a starting point. But as I said-- I don't really follow Trek, so it was just a thought ;-)

EDIT- I admit to joining the discussion because I thought (when I read the topic) that you guys were talking about Hunter Rose/Grendel's fork bladed staff thing.
Ronin Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
vierasmarius

Quote:
I get that they are different though, just seemed similar enough for a starting point. But as I said-- I don't really follow Trek, so it was just a thought ;-)
Not a bad thought though! Of real-world weapons, it is the closest to the double-sword idea. It's just used differently from the fantasy version, and is very much a niche weapon.

Quote:
EDIT- I admit to joining the discussion because I thought (when I read the topic) that you guys were talking about Hunter Rose/Grendel's fork bladed staff thing.
Ahhh, I see. Yeah, that's also a "double bladed" weapon, though with the parallel blades it's basically a two-pronged trident.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #17
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post

Isn't that a reasonable assumption that the OP wants a version in which the weapon actually works? Most people don't care about stats for useless things. I imagine he's probably converting some D&D-ism.
I wouldn't assume that. For one thing, this is GURPS, which goes for a realistic take by default and turns on "cinematic" only as an option. For another, plenty of GMs want realistic takes on stupid weapons, to demonstrate to their players that the request doesn't make a lot of sense in a realistic campaign.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Heroic realism isn't realism realism. In realism realism, the GM should just smack the player and tell them, "No, it's silly."
Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #19
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
In realism realism, the GM should just smack the player and tell them, "No, it's silly."
Or just have the vendor ask them "Are you sure? The last three guys who bought that all brought it back, suffering from self-inflicted wounds."
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Heroic realism isn't realism realism. In realism realism, the GM should just smack the player and tell them, "No, it's silly."
I prefer the "I told you so" approach.
When asked to build something that wont work nearlyas well as the player hopes I have the guy he is asking to make it say "Are you sure? Seems awfully clumsy to use." Then if they buy it anyhow, well then I told them.

EDIT: Ninjaed! I have actually had this happen in more then one game. Most of the time they move on, sometimes everyone gets a laugh out of it. Other times we spend time arguing over the merits till someone convinces the other or GM fiat is invoked.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bladed, rules, sword