Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 12-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #1
weaverjk

Default Psychic Mapping - Traps drawn

Greetings.
My wife and I ran across a (for us) new situation or two tonight, having to do with the Phychic Mapping card. We reviewed the forum and found a few answers. However, we have one unanswered question:

Q) When a "Psychic Mapping" card is used and a Trap is drawn as the first monster card drawn, does the trap stay as part of the room (which must then be dealt with immediately upon entering the room)?

We agreed that the trap should stay as part of the room. It's basically an unexplored room, traps included.

I wanted to touch on a few other thoughts or considerations as well.
1) Ruling: "The monster does not move for any reason until a munchkin enters the room."
2) Ruling not final: Is the monster base selected at the time the monster standie is placed in the room or at the moment a play first enters the room?
- for this, I suggest that the base is not selected until a player enters the room for the first time. Why? The room has not yet been explored. THe monster does not move (for any reason; see #1 above). For all intents and purposes, this monster is out of play and is not yet part of the game.

Following up on my comments for #2 above, I'd recommend that such a monster is out of play (until the room is entered by a player) and is therefore unable to be affected by any cards at all until the room is explored by a player. For instance, until the room is explored, the "Monstrous Wealth" card could not be played on this monster and the "These aren't the Munchkins you are looking for" card could not be played on the monster (which goes along with #2, not assigning the monster a base until the room has been explored in person).

Thanks for reading and responding. Just wanted to chip in information to consider for errata.

John
JKW
weaverjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Psychic Mapping - Traps drawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverjk View Post
Q) When a "Psychic Mapping" card is used and a Trap is drawn as the first monster card drawn, does the trap stay as part of the room (which must then be dealt with immediately upon entering the room)?
Because Psychic Mapping specifically says you leave the monster in the room, if you draw a Trap, discard it and draw again until you get a monster.

We agreed that the trap should stay as part of the room. It's basically an unexplored room, traps included.

I'm going to contradict my own comment in that thread: I now think you should not roll for the monster base until someone "activates" the monster by entering the room. Until then, it's dormant. (But I stand firm by my contention that entering a Psychically Mapped room for the first time does not constitute "exploring" the room as intended by the rules, and therefore one would not draw a DxM for doing so.)

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
weaverjk

Default Re: Psychic Mapping - Traps drawn

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes; I agree that one shouldn't receive a DxM for "exploring" that room. My use of the term "exploring" may have been misleading as I did not mean to infer that one would receive a DxM card for entering that room.

I'm a little surprised at the ruling at not keeping the Trap (as it's basically an unexplored room and the card was written before traps existed, so it couldn't specifically account for the existance of traps), but we'll go with the ruling the next time we encounter the issue.

We appreciate your responses.

Thank you,

John
weaverjk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
psychic mapping