Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2017, 12:26 PM   #41
Joe

Default Re: Hot Spots you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolemnGolem View Post
I did some work on a campaign setting [...] set in late Qing dynasty China....
Sounds right up my alley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
"These young women also had the power to protect the Boxers who were fighting the invaders. One former Boxer recalled in an oral history in the 1950s that “a brother-disciple,” that is, a fellow Boxer, “would hold a piece of rope in his hand.... and direct the fighting. The Boxers would fight down below, while the Red Lanterns would watch from above, appearing suspended in the sky, no larger than a chicken’s egg.” These Red Lanterns could throw swords through the air and lop off the heads of the invaders, as well as removing the screws from their cannons. When the Red Lanterns stood still, they could send their souls into battle."

Tell me THAT wouldn't make a bad-ass campaign.
Holy cow - the awesomeness of the Boxer Rebellion just reached a whole new level of awesome. Great quote, Bruno!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #42
Bruno

It just gets More Better. Because the Boxers couldn't associate with women, or even look at them, enemy women were a convenient excuse for why their supernatural powers stopped working. Ergo, call in the Red Lanterns! They're not scared of women!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:55 PM   #43
Edo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Come to think of it, Shanghai in the 1930s could use a more detailed treatment than we could fit into Shanghai Armed Police.
I'd pay to see a multi-installment work on Shanghai; from like 1840-1950 it was a global hotspot so often that it could easily support a skerry of worldlines.
Edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #44
AOTA

I think Venice would make a good one.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 AM   #45
Dr. Beckenstein

I also vote for cold war Berlin - from the last shot of WWII to the fall of the wall. After all, it was called the "capital of spies".

20th century Los Angeles would also be nice.
Dr. Beckenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #46
johndallman
Night Watchman

Cold War Berlin gets my vote too.

Plus Mount Vesuvius (somebody had to say it).
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:16 PM   #47
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Maybe covered . . .

Istanbul, Ankara, Lisbon, and Madrid during WW II.

While officially neutral cities, there was plenty of skulduggery and intrigue. Folks were trying to get neutrals in or keep them out. Trades of information & small amounts of goods (see "The Rhinemann Exchange") while trying to gain advantage. Bribery, treachery, assassination galore.

Churchill had a virtual fixation on getting Turkey into the war against the Axis. Perhaps some kind of hidden guilt over Gallipoli . . . ?
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #48
jason taylor

Default Re: Maybe covered . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtheobviouspseudonym View Post
Istanbul, Ankara, Lisbon, and Madrid during WW II.

While officially neutral cities, there was plenty of skulduggery and intrigue. Folks were trying to get neutrals in or keep them out. Trades of information & small amounts of goods (see "The Rhinemann Exchange") while trying to gain advantage. Bribery, treachery, assassination galore.

Churchill had a virtual fixation on getting Turkey into the war against the Axis. Perhaps some kind of hidden guilt over Gallipoli . . . ?
Conceivably though Churchill had a fixation on fancy tricks in general and not all to the bad as the last war spent to much time at headbutting. In point of fact a belligerent Turkey might not have been as useful as a neutral one for a neutral Turkey could make a human shield for any nefarious doings the Brits wished to do in the Eastern Med. Whereas if it became belligerent large portions of it would be occupied and every op there would have to be conducted under the eyes of a police state, rather then of an authoritarian but not fanatically repressive semi-democratic regime with a competent but benevolently disinterested secret service.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:05 AM   #49
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Hot Spots: The Berlin Wall. Special attention paid to the Berlin Airlift campaign. Of course, it won't be complete without at least one obligatory block quote from Pink Floyd. :)
I am recalling some article I read about how they tunneled from West Berlin under East Berlin to tap the military phone lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Hmm. How large of a "hot spot" are we talking, here?

Because, India during the Mauryan Empire....
Once upon a time GURPS India made it to a playtest draft, but no farther. I read it once, and it couldn't decide if it was a sourcebook or a history text.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:44 PM   #50
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post

(SNIP)

Once upon a time GURPS India made it to a playtest draft, but no farther. I read it once, and it couldn't decide if it was a sourcebook or a history text.
I'd probably like that, but then I have a degree in history and political sciences, and did my capstone papers for my bachelors on the development of the railroads in India, and how they acted as catalysts for the creation of an Indian national consciousness. For most people, they'd probably want a more exciting read, with plenty of adventure-hooks and well-defined villains.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot spots, wish list