Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #51
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Realistic Dragon's Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Please note we're talking about a dragon "firing" a vortex ring of flammable bits that later reaches an area that will ignite it.

That said, I'm personally more inclined to go with coal dust as the projectile of choice. The dragon needs to be going into caves and the like to get his reserve of flint shards, after all.
I don't think coal dust will work with vortex rings. You're mixing gas dynamics with particles. I doubt you can make a vortex ring with anything more energetic than low density/purity methane gas which is going to be rather like lighting one's own flatulence as weapons go.

Many posts back I opined that you needed a flammable liquid probably with a gelling agent (adhesive too). You want to kill with fire you need to make large area 3rd degree burns. No "POOF!" of flammable gas is going to do that. Organic napalm in contact with the victim's flesh might.

Even those wouldn't kill quickly but they might incapacitate with decent speed and be close enough.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #52
CraigR

How effective would it be for the "breath" to be a dual-gland system, the two substances sprayed combine and break down chemical (molecular?) bonds, releasing the energy as heat. The effect only lasts a few seconds after mixing, and its efficiency can be tweaked based on how much damage you want it to do...
Planet Flipside
CraigR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #53
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigR View Post
How effective would it be for the "breath" to be a dual-gland system, the two substances sprayed combine and break down chemical (molecular?) bonds, releasing the energy as heat. The effect only lasts a few seconds after mixing, and its efficiency can be tweaked based on how much damage you want it to do...
The result would be low density and travel through air very poorly.

If you could contain it in a nozzle it would make a better rocket than a weapon. Most sorts of hypothetical "flame" and "plasma" would.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #54
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
If you could contain it in a nozzle it would make a better rocket than a weapon. Most sorts of hypothetical "flame" and "plasma" would.
As far as we can tell, the best way to project flame is incendiary bombs, and the next best is a flamethrower (thick burning oil).
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:59 AM   #55
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
As far as we can tell, the best way to project flame is incendiary bombs, and the next best is a flamethrower (thick burning oil).
What about a spewed substance that only ignites after a second or two of contact with air?
Old 07-14-2013, 09:11 AM   #56
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
What about a spewed substance that only ignites after a second or two of contact with air?
You mean white phosphorus? I don't believe it sticks to targets as well as napalmed oil, though it's a convenient igniter.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #57
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
You mean white phosphorus? I don't believe it sticks to targets as well as napalmed oil, though it's a convenient igniter.
I didn't have anything particular in mind. But something like that to avoid having fire in the dragon's throat.
"Why does that dragon keep eating my fertilizer?"
Old 07-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #58
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I didn't have anything particular in mind. But something like that to avoid having fire in the dragon's throat.
Normal flamethrowers don't ignite until the fluid is outside of the projector. It's probably easier to use some sort of binary igniter to trigger a conventional incendiary than something that ignites on contact with air. Other than the metabolic cost of producing the fuel being unreasonably high (which will be true for almost every possible 'breath weapon'), there's no particular reason a biological flamethrower is impossible.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #59
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Normal flamethrowers don't ignite until the fluid is outside of the projector. It's probably easier to use some sort of binary igniter to trigger a conventional incendiary than something that ignites on contact with air. Other than the metabolic cost of producing the fuel being unreasonably high (which will be true for almost every possible 'breath weapon'), there's no particular reason a biological flamethrower is impossible.
It depends on how close to the mouth and throat you want the flaming "bile". Of course metabolically it's incredibly inefficient and rather silly without a stupid level of raw asphaltum or other petroleums lying around.