Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 AM   #21
banditangel

Default Re: House Rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acolyte View Post
If you're having that much Vessel death, I would just wonder about disturbance.
The players are often fighting miles away from civilization. Their most epic fight had disturbance audible from two miles away (I think the disturbance count broke 200...), and absolutely no one noticed. I hadn't considered tether disruption, but their boss would probably consider that a serious plus, since their missions are usually "destroy an ethereal tether" :)

Quote:
The "Dramatic Flair" I have a serious objection to, though.
It's strictly optional, and I would only recommend it for a somewhat light-hearted campaign. My players are also not-so-great at seperating IC and OOC information sometimes, so it's an easy excuse not to have to worry that they're metagaming every time the Seraph flips on his resonance.

Quote:
I find it a little disturbing (no pun intended) that in one session your Seraph lied several times.
He's being seduced by a Lilim of Lust, and playing a very dangerous game of trying to redeem the Lilim in response. There's a fairly serious chance he ends up fallen. Not quite sure how Novalis would feel about it if she found out, but the Lilim has been getting close to redemption because of him.

The nature of the campaign also has dissonance being a bit more common - the players are all very much celestials who walk the the thin line of acceptable behavior. The only reason they're even still on corporeal duty is because a Very Powerful Shadowy Figure has pulled a lot of strings to ensure that they do missions for him. This also protects them from a lot of their superiors' wrath, since Shadowy Figure would be quite upset to lose his toys.
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #22
Acolyte

I can see that, but regularly sparking up that much disturbance is a great hook for introducing a new monkey wrench to the campaign (or a new campaign arc altogether), since you're well within your rights to say "well Jordi happened to be around and heard THAT monster..." or whatever. *grin*

I've often imagined resonances as taking a visual aspect on for the resonance-user. As in, a Seraph doesn't glow when he's resonating, but HE sees black tally marks above the head of a liar. That's just flavor, though, easily used or discarded.

Most dangerous game indeed. Is the Lilim a PC or NPC?

Interesting setup--but then again IN is an interesting game with a lot of built-in flexibility for noncanon things (even blatantly heretical-to-canon ones). Do they know their true master?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #23
tHEhERETIC

General-ly speaking, there's always the Malakim squad for bashing folks who make too much noise. For my own game I've retooled them into two different squads, "The General's Guard" (Laurence's Malakim, for bashing bad guys) and "The Corps" (Michael's misfits, for finding out who the bad guys are before making fools of the Guard).

Then, you might imagine, Asmodeus has his own little force somewhere.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:57 PM   #24
banditangel

Quote:
Most dangerous game indeed. Is the Lilim a PC or NPC?
Fellow PC. Andrealphus hasn't been happy with the fact that the redemption effort has actually landed some dissonance on the Lilim, so they're both in a rather precarious place now :)
banditangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #25
Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by banditangel View Post
Fellow PC. Andrealphus hasn't been happy with the fact that the redemption effort has actually landed some dissonance on the Lilim, so they're both in a rather precarious place now :)
Sounds mighty interesting. I approve! *grin*
Old 09-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #26
BillionSix

I had an idea for a house rule. You know how it says that celestials tend to resonate with certain types of musical instruments?
Well, I came up with an idea that a Celestial wouldn't get any default penalties for playing their instrument, and any points put into the skill would count double.
So, a Seraph with a high Perception could pick up a guitar for the first time, and play it instinctively. He might not play it "correctly" but could still get pretty music out of it. And if he did get training, he would master it at a very fast rate.

It's mostly a flavor thing, but I like it.

Brian
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
JCD

This is less a house rule then a rule which is frequently forgotten and ignored!

I know I did:

Quote:
When a celestial spends Essence to improve a roll, something “otherworldly” occurs. It might be a flash of diabolical flame, the distant ringing of church bells, or an overpowering smell of incense. The GM decides on the effect, but inevitably some obvious, strange circumstance accompanies the expenditure of Essence to affect a roll. This is often a mundane’s first hint that his companions
are otherworldly.
This changes so much!

Do you think this warrents it's own thread?
JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #28
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post

Do you think this warrents it's own thread?
I'm game if you are. I always liked that "special effect" myself; it adds a lot.

(And you're right on the money; if the "supernatural Essence" rule has been overlooked for a while and then gets re-added to a campaign, it will definitely make a splash.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #29
Acolyte

Oh man, I've always used that. One of my favorite things about the setting. The Ofanite at the wheel of the car, muttering, "I really, really, really need to make this jump" then using both his resonance and some Essence to boost the Driving roll--the car lands on the other side, leaving a trail of flames in the air or accompanied by angelic choruses praising the Lord. *grin*

BillionSix--That is a pretty cool idea, but since it's tied to Bands/Choirs, a more interesting take might be to let that be a function of resonance; ie, any Band or Choir can make a resonance roll and add the CD of that roll to the TN of making the relevant music. Thus, Seraphim aren't natural guitarists or violinists because of innate ability, but because they can play chords that resonate with the Truth for their listeners, and Malakim aren't better singers technically but instead can sing and better reach their audience.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #30
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
... and Malakim aren't better singers technically but instead can sing and better reach their audience.
Minor quibble. The Mercurians are the singers. Malakim are very ... very ... steady ... percussion.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rules