Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 11-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Trekkin

Default Steal Essence range limit

Do Impudites need to touch their targets to use Steal Essence? Reading through Core section on resonances would suggest they could use it through a live video feed or something, but I can't think of a piece of IN fiction where they haven't physically touched the person they're draining. Is there some RAW somewhere that specifies one way or the other?
Trekkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
JCD

Default Re: Steal Essence range limit

The fiction doesn't follow the rules.

According to the rules, he could be across a stadium watching a co-Ed through binoculars and have a CHANCE to charm and steal Essence. Practically...GM discretion. Because the odds are so low most Impudites play the odds and touch. Plus they LIKE to touch...
Old 11-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Since stage one is Charming, though, that would seem to require that the target notice the Impudite -- it's not enough to see them through binoculars, they have to see you back. ("An Impudite can use his resonance again to rob his charmed victims of Essence, if they have any." Pg. 153 of Core, emphasis mine.)

Of course, that doesn't preclude the classic "love at first sight when eyes meet across a crowded room," or crowded stadium as the case may be.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Whitelaughter

No limit - if you are prepared to take the penalties, your Taker can charm/drain a target over live media, including the phone, security cameras or talkback radio.
A smart move for Tethers of The Media when under attack is to broadcat live into Hell the attack, so that every empty Impudite in front of a screen can attempt to charm/drain the invaders. Sure only one in 100 will succeed, but if thouands are attempting it....
Whitelaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
tHEhERETIC

So was I correct that the three Impudites could not drain the Malakite, despite being more powerful than he, because there was no way they'd be able to charm him?
Old 11-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
So was I correct that the three Impudites could not drain the Malakite, despite being more powerful than he, because there was no way they'd be able to charm him?
Given the latter, the former is true, yes. An Impudite can only take Essence from a charmed victim.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #7
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEhERETIC View Post
Why wouldn't the Impudites be able to Charm him? Angels are just as suceptible, albeit with stronger Wills and more Forces. It even mentions it in canon.

Tags
impudites