Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #21
Icelander

Default Re: Rugby

Fatigue System

A game of rugby expends a lot of energy. The fatigue cost of a full, 90 minute game, depends on the effective HT score of the player. This is the higher of his HT or his HT-based Sport (Rugby) modified by +1 for Fit and +2 for Very Fit. Consult the table below for the fatigue costs of a typical game:

HT 10 = 48 FP
HT 11 = 36 FP
HT 12 = 25 FP
HT 13 = 16 FP
HT 14 = 9 FP
HT 15 = 4 FP
HT 16+ = 2 FP

Very Fit halves these fatigue costs. In addition; normal characters will recover 3 FPs over the course of a game (half-time, breaks in the game). Fit and Very Fit characters recover 6 FPs.

If a player lacks enough FP to play a full game, he is usually substituted as soon as he begins to slow. That means he contributes points only for that part of the game he was playing (and the substitute contributes the rest). If a player, for some reason, can't be substituted, he becomes a liability on the field. Subtract 2 from his points for a player who lacks 2 FPs or less to play at full power all game long, subtract 4 from his points for someone who lacks 5 FPs, 6 points if he lacks 8 FP, 8 points if he lacks 10 FP and 10 points if he lacks more.

Those characters who have more FP than they would lose over the course of a match can elect to push themselves harder. This is a use of Extra Effort and unless otherwise specified, is subject to the same rules and consequences of failure as that option.

The player specifies how much improvement on his final point contribution he wishes to attempt and how many FPs he is willing to expend on the effort. He rolls against Will or Will-based Sport (Rugby) at -1 per 5% improvement to his final score. If he succeeds, he multiplies the desired percentile increase by the FPs he devoted to Extra Effort and adds this to his final score. A failure means that his score is unchanged, but a critical failure means an injury of HP equal to the FPs expended.

The use of substitutes means that these rules can mostly be ignored without skewing the results when rolling for teams of less important NPCs as long as their modified HT rolls are mostly between 11-13. The ones with less endurance will be substituted and the ones will more will not have enough left to use Extra Effort.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #22
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If a player lacks enough FP to play a full game, he is usually substituted as soon as he begins to slow.
This isn't a spectator sport. There will be no substitutions except for injury.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #23
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
This isn't a spectator sport. There will be no substitutions except for injury.
So use the system as written. ;)
Old 03-03-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
Icelander

Obviously, if the GM is familiar enough with rugby, he might wish to have the relative importance of each aspect vary according to the position each character plays. That way someone who plays primarily defence might multiply his MoS at Tackling by x3, but Passing only by x1, or something like that. Just have the final multiplier be x10, to make the math more intuitive.

I don't even know what the positions are, so I won't get into that. But it's a thought, at any rate.

Of course, it is highly encouraged to use the detailed system only for important characters. For the rest, just rolling once against their weighed averages (which is probably HT-based Sport (Rugby)*) for the whole team and multiplying by x150 (15 players, x10 each for aspects) will yield an aggregate score that is compatible with doing it the detailed way.

In most games, the best method would be to roll for one or two characters on each side in the detailed system, roll a single check x10 for those NPCs that teh GM cares whether did good or bad, but not enough to use the detailed system and then lump the rest of the players together in one roll that is then multiplied by x10 times the number of players. This will yield the exact same results as if things were done the detailed way for everyone, as long as the players Rugby Average is a fair reflection of their capability in their assigned position.

*Modified ad hoc by the GM to account for being unusually good or bad at certain aspects.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-03-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:00 PM   #25
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I account for this by HP modifying the Tackles aspect. I think that +/-1 per HP that is above or below 10 would emphasise it heavily.
Oh, no. The body mass of the Forwards relates to how hard they are to push against in a scrum or a ruck. Tackling is a factor of running speed.

I was a skinny fella when I played RU. But I could run fast, so I was adept at tackling. I was the only forward I knew that tackled.

<Long and involved discussion regarding tactical choices in Rugby ensued. Edited in the name of decorum>
Old 03-03-2011, 10:19 PM   #26
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Oh, no. The body mass of the Forwards relates to how hard they are to push against in a scrum or a ruck. Tackling is a factor of running speed.

I was a skinny fella when I played RU. But I could run fast, so I was adept at tackling. I was the only forward I knew that tackled.

<Long and involved discussion regarding tactical choices in Rugby ensued. Edited in the name of decorum>
I'm sure you are right. On the other hand, this is an abstracted system which treats shoves, pushes, slams, tackles and checks all as part of the same aspect of rugby and boils the whole 90 minutes of it down to a single roll against a skill which covers Shoves and Tackles in GURPS.

So I think that allowing that bigger chaps are better at the 'body hitting another body' part of rugby is fair enough, is it not?

Speed is also important, I am aware, even with my miniscule understanding of the sport, but that is handled by Move giving a bonus to another of the rolls made. Since this is an abstraction, these two rolls could actually be describing a series of similar actions, such as a fast, small player scoring high on Running, but lower on Tackles being actually making a lot of tackles and therefore contributing a lot to his side.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #27
Icelander

Default Cleaned Up Rugby Rules

Rugby Match Resolution System

Matches are resolved by both sides making a series of rolls, adding the margins of success or failure, and comparing the results. The higher aggregate number wins the game, with the margin of difference determining how close fought the contest was.

The resolution of these rolls may vary from one roll for the performance of the team as a whole to each player making individual rolls for each Aspect of his game.

In general, if the GM does not want to focus on some area of the game, he can make one roll for those parts, simply adding all the multipliers together and multiplying the result of this one roll. This will yield the same results as the more detailed method, but may require the GM to assign a fair average score to the players he abstracts away. In general, this should be based on the HT-based Sport (Rugby) skill with bonuses or penalties if he is good or bad at certain aspects that will also be important to him.

The sum of multipliers for the whole team ought to be x200. If broken down into rolls, this represents the 15 players, any subs that might come on (with the subbed players contributing a lesser proportion) and the contribution of the people who make strategic decisions for the team. This may or may not be someone on the field.

The average sum of multipliers for a player is x10. Certain roles are more important than others, though, and might have slightly higher multipliers. Also, on every team, there is a dedicated kicker and a captain. These players make additional rolls and may therefore contribute more.

Aspects

Evading: Roll against DX-based Sport (Rugby), Acrobatics or Judo. Add +2 for Combat Reflexes, if possessed. May use the Evade technique.

Leadership: Roll against Leadership.

Line-Out: Roll against DX-based Sport (Rugby). Add +/- 2 per point of effective Move you have for Jumping purposes. Add +/- 2 for height variation within SM 0, with SM +1 being worth a +3 and SM -1 being worth a -3.

Passing: Roll against Throwing or DX-based Sport (Rugby). Since how far and fast you can throw matters, modify by +/- 1 for every 2 points of (Arm) ST above or below 10. The ST bonus for Throwing skill counts.

Running: Roll against HT-based Running; +/- 3 for every point of Move above or below 5.

Scrimmage: Roll against ST-based Sport (Rugby), with HP modifying the roll by +/- 1 per point that is higher or lower than ST.

Situational Awareness: Roll against Per-based Sports (Rugby) or Observation.

Strategy: Roll against IQ-based Games (Rugby).

Tackling: Roll against DX-based Sport (Rugby), Brawling or Sumo Wrestling. Modify for the amount of damage done by a normal Slam by the character, as follows:

1d-4: -6 --- [Move x HP = 33-42]
1d-3: -4 --- [Move x HP = 43-56]
1d-2: -2 --- [Move x HP = 57-75]
1d-1: 0 --- [Move x HP = 76-95]
1d: +2 --- [Move x HP = 96-114]
1d+1: +4 --- [Move x HP = 115-142]
1d+2: +6 --- [Move x HP = 143-164]
1d+3: +8 --- [+1 level]
1d+4: +10
--- [+2 level]

Having Brawling at DX+2 or Sport (Rugby) or Sumo Wrestling at DX+1 will move a character up one level on the table. Having Sport (Rugby) or Sumo Wrestling at DX+2 will move him up two levels.

Tactics: Roll against Games (Rugby) or IQ-based Sport (Rugby)-3.

Technical[kicking, catching, other technical aspects]: Roll against DX-based Sport (Rugby). Can be subdivided into more than one field, for some players.

Catching: Roll against Catching technique, DX-based Sport (Rugby) or DX. Add +1 for Combat Reflexes, if the player has it.

Kicking: Roll against Kicking technique or DX-based Sport (Rugby)-2.

Last edited by Icelander; 03-04-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
custom setting, flat black, rugby, space marines, sport