Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Tyneras

Default Altered Time Rate and Strength (ST)

This is about a character with Altered Time Rate and their perceived strength vs someone without it.

Here is my logic: Striking ST is basically about the kinetic energy of your fist, and KE = 1/2mv^2, and v is distance/time. If you have ATR 1, you do everything in half the time, which doubles the KE of your fist.

My logic also applies to Lifting ST, but I feel less sure about it. Gravity would be effectively half from your ATR 1 perspective.

I am not proposing free Lifting/Striking ST, but rather give the logic and justification of extra Lifting/Striking ST (only against non-ATR opponents, -10%).

On a side note, would Aura be a good enhancement for ATR to make it affect your weapons and gear? This would allow you to fire the full RoF of a gun each perceived second.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:22 PM   #2
lexington

Default Re: Altered Time Rate and Strength (ST)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I am not proposing free Lifting/Striking ST, but rather give the logic and justification of extra Lifting/Striking ST (only against non-ATR opponents, -10%).
Striking ST is official endorsed by the Supers and Powers books.

Lifting ST, not so much. It doesn't make much sense for Speedsters to be able to hold heavy objects for a long time as a result of their powers.
lexington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
vitruvian

Quote:
This is about a character with Altered Time Rate and their perceived strength vs someone without it.

Here is my logic: Striking ST is basically about the kinetic energy of your fist, and KE = 1/2mv^2, and v is distance/time. If you have ATR 1, you do everything in half the time, which doubles the KE of your fist.

My logic also applies to Lifting ST, but I feel less sure about it. Gravity would be effectively half from your ATR 1 perspective.

On a side note, would Aura be a good enhancement for ATR to make it affect your weapons and gear? This would allow you to fire the full RoF of a gun each perceived second.
Sure, let them buy Striking ST and maybe even Lifting ST (although the latter 'feels' less in genre) as part of their superspeed Power, or even just as advantages contingent on having ATR active/facing people who are moving slower. Not sure about the latter limitation, though, either in concept (your punch's Ke is the same whether the target is experiencing time faster or not, if their speed does serve to reduce Ke against them that's DR or Injury Tolerance), or the discount value.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
Celjabba

I prefer to avoid those energy calculation, because then you should also consider friction from clothes on the skin, food intake, heat dissipation, ...
Super physics is super physics, not real world physics.

And there would be few GM that would allow ATR and disallow ST, i think.

And i think(i may be wrong) it was quoted recently that you have a full gun rof each 'perceived' second of ATR, no aura needed. You get an extra turn, so does your gear.

Celjabba

Last edited by Celjabba; 02-12-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 PM   #5
vitruvian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Striking ST is official endorsed by the Supers and Powers books.

Lifting ST, not so much. It doesn't make much sense for Speedsters to be able to hold heavy objects for a long time as a result of their powers.
It seems like speedsters per se, and especially those using ATR, can lift the same weight in less time, but not necessarily any greater total weight. On the other hand, you could certainly have a 'Physical Power' superpower that represented increased muscular power output and included all variations on ST (whole, Lifting, Striking, External) along with Super Jump, Enhanced Move, increased Basic Move, increased Basic Speed, Super Throw, and so on, though probably not ATR.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #6
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Super physics is super physics, not real world physics.
They're actually quite similar. The main difference is that super physics discards the inconvenient bits of real physics.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
Purple Haze

Quote:
Wouldn't work with most weapons, their rate of fire is determined by inertia, the compression of a spring, or the expansion of gas.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #8
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Wouldn't work with most weapons, their rate of fire is determined by inertia, the compression of a spring, or the expansion of gas.
Hence, Aura. From the gun's PoV, everything is moving normally (the entire gun, springs, gas, ammo and all) while to the target, it has double it's RoF.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Purple Haze

Quote:
Hence, Aura. From the gun's PoV, everything is moving normally (the entire gun, springs, gas, ammo and all) while to the target, it has double it's RoF.
Then the velocity of the bullets should double and the kinetic energy quadruple as well. That also increases their range and accuracy.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
lexington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Then the velocity of the bullets should double and the kinetic energy quadruple as well. That also increases their range and accuracy.
It might reduce accuracy even. I think part of the reason rifle bullets are made pointy is because of the effects of their higher speed.

Tags
altered time rate, lifting_st, strength, striking st, striking strength, striking_st