Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-26-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Gradea

Default Old Fallout DR system.

So, I'm trying to figure out a system for converting Fallout 1, 2, and Tactics DR system, with its proportional reduction into GURPS (A conversion from fallout to GURPS should be so easy, all things considered...).

The closest thing I can look at is Injury Tolerance, which have too many variables (Differently effecting a half dozen types of damage), and Resistance (Which doesn't effect damaging effects as much as various conditions.)

The plan was to set the game as having these resistance types

Electrical (Incredibly Uncommon)
Explosive (Common)
Fire (Common)
Laser (Uncommon)
Physical (Which would include Cutting, Impaling, and Piercings) (Incredibly Common)
Plasma (Very Uncommon)

Which each damage type having X cost for each Y% reduced, which is applied before static Damage Resistance is applied.

The problem is, I have no idea what a good point cost would be.
Gradea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
krapou

Default Re: Old Fallout DR system.

Instead of having all types of DR for each armor, you could, for simplification, just use standard DR with maybe one modifier if necessary.

Example: Tesla Armor (DR 10 against electricity, DR 4 otherwise)

And maybe you don't need to worry about point cost: only retail price and availability could be enough ;)
Old 10-26-2009, 05:05 AM   #3
Gradea

Then I wouldn't be using the system I'm trying to use.

There's a reason for it, standard DR seems... brittle to me.

Below a certain point, Standard DR stops ALL damage from an attack. Above a certain point, if your a messily little 10-20 hp realistic human, you get instantly eviscerated.

Proportional DR smooths that curve a little bit.

And the reason I want to calculate points is both for creatures with natural damage reducing abilities, and to tally the total "Points" in a suit of armor as a means of balancing it.

*edit* I suppose a simple way to do this would be to make DR with the draw back (Only prevents up to X% of the damage). That would actually be a fairly straight forward conversion.

Last edited by Gradea; 10-26-2009 at 05:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #4
krapou

I get your point now, thx

For absorbing damage in a proportionnal way, and using an already existing Advantage, you could use Injury Tolerance - Damage Reduction from Powers.

*: I didn't think of big DR as a problem in Fallout (or other games where my players had big armors or had to face heavy armored opponents) since the most common way for bypassing high DR is to use AP ammo, and since AP decreases the wounding modifier, these ammo deal less damage after DR substraction
Old 10-26-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
Gradea

I don't think of DR as a problem, I just don't like the execution. I prefer always taking some damage, but not easily being fully destroyed. Not the all or nothing scenario of Armor Class, or the tiny window where you can be effected but not killed offered by DR.

I've only ever seen two ways to handle that, 1) High levels of health, either naturally, or with health granting armor (See Palladium Games style of armor), and proportional damage reduction.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Mehmet
MIB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradea View Post
I don't think of DR as a problem, I just don't like the execution. I prefer always taking some damage, but not easily being fully destroyed. Not the all or nothing scenario of Armor Class, or the tiny window where you can be effected but not killed offered by DR.

I've only ever seen two ways to handle that, 1) High levels of health, either naturally, or with health granting armor (See Palladium Games style of armor), and proportional damage reduction.
Emphasis mine.

Could you elaborate? I am curious.

Cheers!
Old 10-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
RedMattis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehmet View Post
Emphasis mine.

Could you elaborate? I am curious.

Cheers!
I'm guessing the situations when you've got something like this:

DR (Electricity) 50

50p electricity hit. No damage.

55p electricity hit, Major Wound.

60p electricity hit, Major Wound + Hp 0 (unconsciousness roll)
Old 10-27-2009, 03:46 AM   #8
Mehmet
MIB

Ah, alright.

That can be solved by some mechanism similar to "flexible" maybe? Say, DR is "flexible" regarding all kinds of damage (flexible against Electricity for instance) causing some damage to seep through?

Cheers!
Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #9
Tema69

I've been thinking the same thing...

Assuming we take a DR50 Combat Hardsuit from Ultra Tech, I'd like to see a system where anything less than... say... 5 points of damage would be ignored (as per regular DR rules), but if it's more than that (but less than the armour's DR), you'd get some sort of percentage of the damage, depending on the armour.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #10
Gradea

*Edit* I need to stop going on forums right after waking up. Yes, I'm doing exactly what you two said. Its not following the exact same proportions of Flexible (Changes based on armor.), and it incorporates energy damages as well, but yeah, its basiclly the same thing.

Last edited by Gradea; 10-27-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Tags
armor, fallout