Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #51
Tema69

Default Re: A Fallout'esque Post Apocalypse Campaign

@Ragitsu: Weirdness Magnet sure sounds like a good idea.

@Gold & Appel Inc: Thanks mate. Oh, and you're right about Gigantism and armour. Forgot about that.

While it would be more advantageous to optimize him to be SM0 or even SM-1, it doesn't fit the idea or the concept. He wanted to be big and scary, even if that meant less sneakyness. Also, remember that he has a lot of different gadgets incorporated in his body. They take up space too, you know...
Many military projects are put on hold due to weight/size problems - you can't always get what you want when it comes to compactness and size.

Remember that the Fallout series are pretty Retro-Futuristic. It's more like TL7+3 or something like that...
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #52
Tema69

So, update/bump time.

Last session, the PCs retreated to their grounded airplane in the swamp, and the remaining two agents flashbanged their way in, stunning most of the PCs and their allies within a few seconds. They quickly took control of the airplane, firing only a single burst at a PC. PC reinforcemets (a fleeing PC's ally who turned around and came back as the angel-PC landed on the plane, and another PC inside recovered from his stun) arrived though, and a quick firefight ensued, killing one of the agents, and capturing the other.
The attack and counterattack left the plane pretty useless, so the PCs grabbed as much gear they could, and moved back to their bunker. They've been interrogating the Centran Agent ever since, as well as examining their gear (they captured two full suits of armour and equipment, as well as both their weapons). They've learned that these guys have been ordered to kill ONE of the three Spykers (either the PC, or his father or son), but MUST spare the others (a process that, unknown to the PCs, would move the world closer to Centrum).
They've also learned that at least 8 others are waiting at a temporary camp in the area, and I'm pretty sure they're planning on taking them out if they can.

SO, since I've gotten my hands on Ultra-Tech, I've been looking at how to kit them out and gear 'em up.
I'd appreciate any suggestions or comments!

Quote:
Nanoweave Tactical Vest (9 lb) [DR 24/10]
with Trauma Plates (9 lb) [DR+46], Provisions Dispenser (1 lb), Biomedical Sensors (0.2 lb), Multispectral Chameleon Surface (3 lb), DAP (5 lb) [DR 16/4], Best Qual Patrol Sling (+2 Fast Draw), Best Qual LBEquipment (+2 Fast Draw, can hold 30lb), 5x 4.73mm JHP mags (5lb), 3x 4.73mm APHC mags (3lb), 2x 10mm JHP mags (1.5lb), 3x HE Grenades, incl 1 Smart (6dx3 pi++, 3 lb), 2x Limpet Mines (2 lb), 3x Smoke Grenades (3 lb.), Vapor Water Pack (2 liters, 5 lb)
[only provides +4 Stealth against normal vision when not worn with MCS fatigues]
***They only put the Vest on if they know for sure they'll come under fire - for example on assault missions***

Light Infantry Helmet (3 lb)
with MCS (1 lb), NVGoggles (Night Vision 9, 8x Magnification, AntiGlare, 0.6 lb), Tiny Radio Comm (2 miles, 0.05 lb)

Nanoweave Gloves (n/a lb) [DR9/3] & Assault Boots (3 lb) [DR 18/9]

Nanoweave Bodysuit (6 lb)
with MCS (4 lb)
[DR 18/6, gives -1 DX when stacked with the Vest]

Personal Defense 4.73x33mm ETC Rifle (6d+3 pi, 750/4500, Bulk-3, 7 lb)
(High-Cyclic Controlled Burst, Rcl 1 on Burst Fire)
with Reflex Sight (1 lb)
***based on the G11***

Heavy 10mm ETC Pistol (4d+2 (0.5) pi++, 270/3000, 2.5 lb)

Pocket Medic (2 lb)

Back at the Camp:
Mule Robot (carries 6x 2-man Dome Tents (24 lb), Survival Kit TL10style (10 lb)*, 2 weeks survival rations for 13 men (130 lb), 2 Programmable Camouflage Net (2x 25 m2, 16 lb)
*Pilot's Survival Vest 'ish...

15mmCL AntiMateriel Rifle and 2 mags of Match Grade APHC (30+4 lb)

Edit: Also, to add further hints, a G36C-style weapon they picked up recently from a lone mercenary (hired by the Raider Leader BBEG) could be i 7.92x33mmK, a WW2-era German round and stamped with a Nazi Eagle and Swastika - it could hail from the Reich-5 world (either the mercenary was a Jumper, or he aquired it via/from one). What do you think?

Edit2: Reading "Infinite Worlds", I'm not sure I want to introduce Centrum first. Perhaps the agents are part of "The Battalion", a U.N. Mercenary unit? They conduct black-op style raids/assassinations like this. They could be posing as Centrans though, in case anyone notices them.

So a small platoon of Homeline U.N. mercenaries are sent out to kill one of the Spykers. They're not sure which one, but they have several cover stories. First one, is posing as 'regular' mercenaries from this world. Second, claiming to be from Centrum (in case the Infinity Patrol comes along or something - I guess IP would be annoyed to learn about UN interventions). Although they don't know which one of the Spykers they need to eliminate (or bring off-world), they have the adequate tech to find out. They only need close up photos of them (point blank). They've already gotten photos of the Spyker PC, Garred Spyker, but still need some from the father and the son (another team will take care of the father).

Since I've started getting more and more fond of the various Reich worlds (what horrible chain of thoughts!), I'd like to introduce them.
So the reason for killing the Spyker wouldn't be moving the world closer to Centrum, but perhaps rather... to stop the Spyker from interacting with something that'd trigger a connection with Reich-5. Since I'll probably have this be the Spyker PC's son who causes this, I'm currently in need of something that could trigger a banestorm or something similar. Reading on the Merlin-1 world, a nuke could trigger this.
I'm thinking that perhaps this Fallout world (which I'm now dubbing Fallout-1) has been so close to creating a banestorm when the original nuclear disaster struck, but didn't, that any "minor" nuclear discharge would trigger said banestorm...

Alternatively, the mercenaries could kidnap the son - which would provide a whole new adventure for the PCs - getting a parachronic conveyor to bring him back from wherever he'd be taken (Coventry probably).

Last edited by Tema69; 10-20-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Tema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM   #53
Chromemagnus
Banned

Sorry for 'spamming' but reading this I was almost on the edge of my seat. This sounds like an amazing campaign.
Chromemagnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #54
Anaximander

I must say, this sounds like a ludicrously fun campaign. I myself have a Fallout-style game in mind that's been on the back-burner for a while. I'll post it's basic outline to see if that gives you any inspiration. I can tell you that your game has certainly given some to me!

My campaign will be located in a post-nuclear Florida, a region I'm referring to in-game as the Sunshine State. The landscape has changed notably as the central regions have been blasted into an arid wasteland, the coasts dramatically changed by a flood that accompanied the cataclysm, and the southern half of the state submerged in a reborn irradiated everglades (lots of mutated beasties). The Mickey Mouse Club has survived the apocalypse to take on the aspects of a fully blown organized religion. There's a Ghoul settlement in the ruins of Ybor City in Tampa that includes a community of former Cuban spies and commandos. There are also, of course, various human settlements and tribal groups sparsely spread throughout the Sunshine State.

The main conflict will be centered around the ruins of Walt Disney World. There's a lot of tech in abandoned pre-war bases that were part of the substructure of their "AmericaLand" park and the gigantic vault that was under Cinderella's castle is now a hive of super mutants. the Mutants are so numerous that most speculate they ought to be able to overrun the entire Sunshine State, were it not for the collars they all wear that cause their heads to explode if they move too far from their base in the Magic Kingdom. The Enclave will move in and set in motion a plan to infiltrate the Mutant base and deactivate the collars in order to begin a purge of the entire region, after which they will exterminate the Mutants by reactivated the collars and hitting their "kill switch". The PCs will become instrumental in this plan and will ultimately have the choice of whether to help or hinder the Enclave.

As for who the Enclave's adversary is, I'm not sure. The obvious answer based on Fallout lore is the Brotherhood of Steel, but I'm trying to think of a worthy alternative to that because it's rather played out and I envision their resources being too limited for their influence to go as far as the Sunshine State.
Anaximander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign, fallout, fallout post apocalypse, post-apocalyptic