Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #11
ed_209a

Default Re: Need help for Fallout style game

Unless the loss of life is so massive that the survivors are reduced to hunting and gathering, I think our modern buildings will be pulled down for raw materials long before they have a change to crumble.

Next time you see a picture of a big city, look at all the refined metals, finished stone and glass just waiting to be recycled after the apocalypse.

Today's cities may be tomorrows mines.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #12
Death Knight of Doom

Big T's, guys. I still have one q left. What will become with temp and climate in USA?
Death Knight of Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronom
MAD has been obsolete for about 25 years. Current doctrine leans towards decapitation using the minimal amount of missiles and even less ground bursts. So the date of "The Day" is critical.
Now that is worrying. As soon as some ****** thinks the war is winnable then it's liable to happen - but then, it's unlikely to be anyone in the civilised world who goes for first use.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Knight of Doom
Big T's, guys. I still have one q left. What will become with temp and climate in USA?
Unlikely to change much ... the weather patterns are largely defined by geography after all.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #15
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_209a
Unless the loss of life is so massive that the survivors are reduced to hunting and gathering, I think our modern buildings will be pulled down for raw materials long before they have a change to crumble.

Next time you see a picture of a big city, look at all the refined metals, finished stone and glass just waiting to be recycled after the apocalypse.

Today's cities may be tomorrows mines.
Hey, it's happened before ... an awful lot of Roman buildings were scavenged by dark age cultures, and most English and Welsh monastries all but vanished after the dissolution when their stone was 'recycled'.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:44 PM   #16
David Johnston2

Quote:
After 200 years the climate effects of a nuclear holocaust would be long done in a realistic treatment. The most pessimistic projection would be a few cold years until the dust had a chance to settle.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #17
Death Knight of Doom

But why have green plains turned into lifeless wastes in Fallout? And there is no winter and snow in Fallout 1,2,3? And why is water in Fallout 3 radioactive?

Last edited by Death Knight of Doom; 12-04-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:15 PM   #18
Max Schreck

Quote:
But why have green plains turned into lifeless wastes in Fallout? And there is no winter and snow in Fallout 1,2,3? And why the hell all water in Fallout 3 is radioactive?
Because the Fallout universe isn't about any sort of "realistic" or "reasonable" sort of nuclear post-holocaust. It is a homage to one part bad '50s SF and one part clichés made the last 40 years in post-apocalyptic SF. The water is radioactive, because it is a very powerful way of saying that the Earth has been poisoned. It is not important to the story in Fallout that it is not very likely that all places would still be hazardous after 200 years. Fallout also have giant scorpions, because insects and arachnids tend to grow when exposed to radiation and/or chemical waste in '50s SF.

As for the snow, I can't tell you. The first two take place in California. I don't know if it snows there, but I hear tell that it gets mighty hot.

If you want to create a "realistic" post-holocaust campaign without all these concerns, maybe you could move away from the nuclear armageddon scenario, and instigate the Fall of Civilization with something else. I am currently working on something similar as you, where I plan to sterilize the Earth with lethal gamma radiation from an exploding star in the galactic neighbourhood. Civilization in this world will be the remnants of those people who got underground before the radiation reached Earth. I don't know how realistic that is, though.

You could do something similar, like an approaching "planet-buster" asteroid, or widespread disease, run-amuck greenhouse effect, or whatever.

Or just ditch the realism, nuke the world the way you want it, and say: "Yes, these places are still radioactive; they used very dirty bombs" or let the campaign start 40 years after the Final War instead of 200. I immensely enjoyed Fallout 3, but that date actually jarred me a little.

Max
Old 12-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #19
MagicJuggler

Contrast Fallout 2 with the other games. One reason that made it so memorable was because it overplayed the comedic aspects of the game. From fighting The Monty Python Bridgekeeper, to looting a Bowl of Petunias from the carcass of A Very Confused Whale, from being able to be a gangster to being able to fight a certain cult noted for using lawyers to stop their opponents, it was one of the most memorable games of its type.

Decide how much Fallout 2 you want vs. Fallout 1 or 3. Do you want a pinstripe-suit gangsters roaming the wasteland, Tommyguns in hand, laughing at whatever weirdness the universe throws at them? That's Fout 2 for ya.
MagicJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
Death Knight of Doom

I never thought that fallout-series is so unrealistic. But won't so many nukes change Earth's orbit or it's speed? And wouldn't underground water be radioactive?

Tags
fallout