Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-15-2017, 07:47 PM   #21
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
-20% to only protect that one arm?
If you re-read the entry on p. B47, you notice that protecting Only One Arm is -40%. Remember, you multiply by two if only one limb is affected. A single arm is even the example, so it specifically calls it out as being worth -40%.

Whether that is worth it or not, I don't know. I did not quote your comment about Tech Level, but I think we can say that about most Advantages technology can well replicate.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:08 AM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#32): Damage Resistance, Nictitating Membrane

Terminators probably just have Secret (Infiltration Cyborg) which turns into Monstrous Appearance and Social Stigma: Monster if revealed.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:57 AM   #23
TGLS

Going by Ultra-Tech, which Will to Live works off of, an Android takes an appropriate Biomorphic Lens, and if revealed, doesn't necessarily fall to Monstrous appearance. Terminators are in the eye of the beholder, but they don't look that bad (though they are despised for entirely unrelated reasons)
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:00 AM   #24
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Terminators are in the eye of the beholder, but they don't look that bad (though they are despised for entirely unrelated reasons)
The original film was Sci-fi/horror, the Terminator was literally the monster. Animated skeletons often have Monstrous Appearance, chroming them doesn't seem to be a significant improvement.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
Bruno

Another way a revealed terminator gets to people is seeing an alleged human with a) a massive injury and b) mechanical parts sticking out of their insides.

This is a great representative of fear of mutilation - both the original injury and a body mutilated with mechanical pieces. Toss in a dose of fear of the Other - the changeling/alien/reptile people/terminator hiding amongst us, pretending to be one of us, but so very very not.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:34 AM   #26
Kalzazz

I admit I've never used no signature myself
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #27
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Another way a revealed terminator gets to people is seeing an alleged human with a) a massive injury and b) mechanical parts sticking out of their insides.

This is a great representative of fear of mutilation - both the original injury and a body mutilated with mechanical pieces. Toss in a dose of fear of the Other - the changeling/alien/reptile people/terminator hiding amongst us, pretending to be one of us, but so very very not.
Like that scene in the second Terminator where what looks to be an insane man "de-gloves" his flesh hand only to reveal a machine part. It changes a near generic realistic horror into an existential "everything you know is wrong" confusing terror.
Few like to be fooled, but turning a fundamental "one of us" into a "thing" is a visceral betrayal of trust that reaches deep into our basal tetrapodal psyche, I think.

Though some, if not much, of that could be culture/setting dependent. THS citizens may have virtually no instinctive concept of "thing", because everything in common use has some computer intelligence and language.
While even a basic metal dental "grill" may freak out ancient peoples. "Why are you part rock?"
Old 02-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #28
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Though some, if not much, of that could be culture/setting dependent.
Yes, which is why the scenario you described doesn't, I think, actually have anything to do with modifiers on DR.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:28 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, which is why the scenario you described doesn't, I think, actually have anything to do with modifiers on DR.
My hypothetical character isn't from THS, so that world's unique oddities wouldn't count. Perhaps we could at least categorize where such modifications do and do not fit. I'm getting a little confused with some of the vague language here, my own included sadly.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #30
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
My hypothetical character isn't from THS, so that world's unique oddities wouldn't count. Perhaps we could at least categorize where such modifications do and do not fit. I'm getting a little confused with some of the vague language here, my own included sadly.
That character's problem isn't that they have a subcutaneous armor layer that doesn't pass for human if revealed. Their problem is that humans will react negatively to the nonhuman in their midst if revealed. That is a Secret.

Tags
accessibility, advantage, advantage of the week, damage resistance, limited defenses, monstrous, nictating membrane, [basic]