Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2016, 04:00 AM   #11
Tomsdad

Default Re: Questions About Mounted Combat

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
Ah, but you are treating them differently. You added the saddle bonus, then compared the two, took the lower (riding) and then added the combat modifiers (including weapon bond)..
Not sure that is treating them differently, both still apply (the saddle bonus increases riding which in turn increases the amount of Broadsword skill that's available after you apply the cap. And then the weapon bond adds to that, i.e. you get the positive effect of both.

Quote:
Using your example, I think it should be:

Riding-12 +3 for the saddle=15
Sword-17 +1 for weapon bond=18

becomes 15-5+1-1=10
Here you lose the weapon bond bonus (it was part of the 3 points of sword skill you lost when you capped it at 15).

Quote:
treating the non-circumstantial equipment modifiers equally, then adding on the circumstantial non-equipment mods.
But I don think you did treat them equally, you got the saddle bonus but lost the weapon bond bonus.

Just quickly there is circumstance where you would lose a bonus. If you had a bonus on the capping skill which ended up higher than the capped skill, as the capped skill set the upper limit, it not best highest of both

so say it was riding 18 with a +3 saddle on top, in the above set up, sword skill would just be 17 +/- mods

Quote:
I'd probably allow that as well; again, static modifiers that will apply to virtually all Riding rolls.
Yep, and good point about the mods (and yes It might be best to include the -2 bareback penalty as well, especially as there's actually quite a lot of equipment bonuses here to take advantage of)

I must read the riding skill thread here!

Last edited by Tomsdad; 10-17-2016 at 04:13 AM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Not sure that is treating them differently, both still apply (the saddle bonus increases riding which in turn increases the amount of Broadsword skill that's available after you apply the cap. And then the weapon bond adds to that, i.e. you get the positive effect of both.

Here you lose the weapon bond bonus (it was part of the 3 points of sword skill you lost when you capped it at 15).
This brings up an interesting point. I looked up Weapon Bond and it says "when you use it, you are at +1 to effective skill." It does not specify the weapon skill necessarily, and it does seem reasonable to give +1 effective Riding for fighting with the weapon on horseback.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
This brings up an interesting point. I looked up Weapon Bond and it says "when you use it, you are at +1 to effective skill." It does not specify the weapon skill necessarily, and it does seem reasonable to give +1 effective Riding for fighting with the weapon on horseback.
Could work like that (and I certainly allow it to add to maintenance rolls and similar).

Of course in some instances you'd be better off adding it to the capped skill than the capping skill.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low-tech, mounted combat, riding, rules clarification, skills