Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #1
GhostInTheMachine

Default Fallout...

Upon hearing this game has a third sequel coming up...why did SJGames drop the chance to put GURPS into this?! Three games tends to mean a pretty good game.

I'm not blaming SJGames for not having precognitive abilities, but what I am wondering (definitely not for the 3rd game, too late) is if SJGames could (or has attempted to) work their name (at least) or even the idea of the GURPS system back into the Fallout series. As a way of revenue and advertisement.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Philomath

Default Re: Fallout...

I think it would have been really cool. Probably not feasible, but cool nonetheless. Let's hope Fallout IV gets Powered By GURPS!
Unrelatedly, I am now recruiting new players.
Philomath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #3
JMason

I think from the get-go, Bethesda wanted to stick with the SPECIAL system, if only to appease some of the fans of the originals.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason
I think from the get-go, Bethesda wanted to stick with the SPECIAL system, if only to appease some of the fans of the originals.
I assume the OP meant "why did SJ Games drop the chance to put GURPS into the original Fallout"; to the best of my knowledge, SJ Games wasn't given the option of putting GURPS into any of the sequels.

For the answer to that question, I would refer you to this thread, and suggest you follow the various links within it.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine
Upon hearing this game has a third sequel coming up...why did SJGames drop the chance to put GURPS into this?! Three games tends to mean a pretty good game.

I'm not blaming SJGames for not having precognitive abilities, but what I am wondering (definitely not for the 3rd game, too late) is if SJGames could (or has attempted to) work their name (at least) or even the idea of the GURPS system back into the Fallout series. As a way of revenue and advertisement.
The story as I recall it is that GURPS was dropped from the original Fallout game after SJ exercised some contractual rights and restricted some of the things the game designers wanted to do. They decided they didn't need GURPS, installed a set of rules that weren't the Intellectual Property of SJG and moved on.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Of the three or four versions of the story I've heard, I prefer the one told on the illuminator of the year in question.

Specific instances include:

January 13, 1997
February 12, 1997
February 19, 1997
March 14, 1997
MIB #1457
sjard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:35 PM   #7
GhostInTheMachine

My original questions:

1.) Why did SJGames drop the ability to advertise GURPS in the Original Fallout?
2.) Has SJGames attempted to reinstate GURPS into the Fallout Series or are they willing to do so possibly w/ Fallout IV seeing as doing so w/ III is too late?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:47 PM   #8
GnomesofZurich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheMachine
My original questions:

1.) Why did SJGames drop the ability to advertise GURPS in the Original Fallout?
2.) Has SJGames attempted to reinstate GURPS into the Fallout Series or are they willing to do so possibly w/ Fallout IV seeing as doing so w/ III is too late?
1) Your question is answered to the extent you're going to get (barring any of the parties involved telling you what happened) in the thread I linked to.

2) This seems highly unlikely. At this point, Bethesda has made a decision as to which system it's using for Fallout, it's one that is known to Fallout fans, so a change in direction like that wouldn't seem to accomplish anything. It is my understanding that Steve Jackson Games continues to look for companies to partner with in this kind of exercise, but I think the "Fallout powered by GURPS" ship has sailed.

Last edited by GnomesofZurich; 07-19-2008 at 05:15 PM.
GnomesofZurich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #9
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich
2) This seems highly unlikely. At this point, the Fallout has made a decision as to which system it's using, it's one that is known to Fallout fans, so a change in direction like that wouldn't seem to be accomplish anything.
The Fallout 3 forum was actually rife with arguments over whether Bethesda would change SPECIAL, so I think you're right...the last thing those fans want is a change to the basic Fallout system.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #10
GhostInTheMachine

Just restating the original questions so people could better understand them, but thanks for the answers.

Tags
fallout