Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 AM   #21
tbone

Default Re: [GURPS resources] T Bone's Games Diner updates & announcements

The GURPS disadvantage. It's a lovely pre-approved loan: get those character points up front, and work them off (=roleplay the disadvantage) over time.

Only... there's a touch of loan shark aspect to the arrangement. Because, you see, should you miss a payment (=fail to play a disadvantage), Rocco here (=the GM) just might have to do something unfortunate to your lovely PC (=dock some points)...

Is there a less stressful way to handle disadvantages – specifically, not by receiving a sack of character points up front, but by earning the points a little at a time as you roleplay disadvantages at your discretion?

I think there is a way, with both methods able to coexist in the game (and even in a character). The proposal:

Idea Pot: Earn-as-you-go disadvantages for GURPS

Note: I'm following forum convention in announcing new blog content in this thread. Should anyone want to discuss the topic, it's probably better to create a proper new thread than to use this one.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:15 PM   #22
tbone

If you haven't picked up GURPS Power-Ups 2: Perks, you're missing out on the nifty Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) perk. It puts your PC on auto-pilot and gets stuff done!

Perks offers a half-dozen SOPs. Here are 17 more (along with thoughts on selecting and gaming SOPs).

As Good As Done: New Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) perks for GURPS

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #23
tbone

Here's what's crawled onto the website since I last posted in this thread:

Beware the Assassin's Blade
A take on the rumored "assassin's blade", perfect for compulsive blade poisoners in DF or DFRPG. Don't let the town guard catch you with one of these...

Dungeon Fantasy RPG: The Notes (Part I)
Observations on DFRPG, starting with the Adventurers book. (Adorned with a photo of my own Kickstarter haul!)

Dungeon Fantasy RPG: The Notes (Part II)
More of the above, focusing on the skill list in Adventurers.

Hmm... Too much focus on DF/DFRPG? Nope! Can't have too much of that!
I even put up some links that bring up all DF articles on my site, or all DFRPG articles, or both. It's not a big collection yet, but it's growing.

Final note: The GURPS Day list sometimes picks up my new content, sometimes doesn't. (It's not the fault of the fine GURPS Day folks; they've done their best to accommodate my site.) So stay tuned to this thread for content updates.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #24
TJA

Great stuff, thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:53 AM   #25
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
Great stuff, thanks!
Thank you! I better toss some more stuff up there soon...

Old 02-12-2018, 01:39 AM   #26
tbone

New stuff since I last updated this thread:

The Talented Thief: Stealing the Spotlight in GURPS and DFRPG
Notes on beefing up thieves in DF and DFRPG, especially through the use of existing and new talents. (I like the one that aids backstab TH as an Alternate Benefit; that, plus DFRPG's Expert Backstabbing advantage, helps nail the classic D&D-like backstab.)

Dungeon Fantasy RPG: The Notes (Part IV)
Observations on DFRPG's maps, figures, and GM Screen. (My main question about the cardboard figures: Why not fill the entirety of the punch-out boards with figures, instead of leaving space unused?)

Other GURPS-related goodness: Conan and other characters GURPSified
Meanwhile, an energetic contributor continues to update an ongoing series of GURPS write-ups for characters from canonical Conan the Barbarian books. He's added a bundle of new stuff, too: GURPS write-ups of characters from the worlds of Transformers, ThunderCats, the Marvel Universe, Doctor Who, and... the Nintendo-verse, if that's what I should call it.

Comments and suggestions on Conan and on the new contributions are more than welcome! Visit here to see city stats for the Citadel on Gallifrey, to ponder the advantages and disads of Cheetara, or to marvel at the size of Unicron (SM +37... at least).

Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #27
tbone

A new article:

Dungeon Dining: Exotic Eats and Remarkable Rations for Fantasy Travelers

Building off a one-note wisecrack in a past forum post, I've written up a whole one-note article on fantasy rations for DF/DFRPG adventurers. If you're bored of the same ol' regular, dwarven, and elven fare, try these power lunches instead:

Cat-folk rations: For better Night Vision - and a silkier coat. Me-ow like it!
Halfling rations: Okay, this is just lots of regular rations. But a full stomach helps hungry hungry hobbits stay focused on the job.
Gnome rations: The bulk of the article, with over a dozen mix-and-match effects that those clever inventors can bake into your trail loaf. How about energy-boosting food with a rat-repelling smell? Maybe even in liquid (think grenade!) or paste (doubles as face paint!) form?
Orc rations: Dirt cheap or even free (roadkill?). But you may need an orc's poison and disease resistance to survive it.

All those, with per-meal, daily, weekly, and monthly prices and weights for load-out convenience. As well as suggested bulk discounts from Samwise's Warehouse Club. Bon appetit!

Fictional character write-ups for GURPS 4e

In other site news, contributor uE5Xg9p2 continues working on GURPS adaptations of fictional characters, including Conan series personages and cartoons like the ThunderCats. You'll find core Conan material here and supplemental material here, and ThunderCats write-ups here. If any of this is of interest to you, let the author know with a comment!

As I muse in a comment on the 'Cats, nostalgic action cartoons is an area that remains largely untouched by GURPS' hundreds of supplements. With a bunch of cinematic rules (including free-wheeling simplifications inspired by the Action series), perhaps some fun bits from SJG's own TOON game, and a writer versed in the genre, GURPS Cartoon Action could be a fun thing...

Old 05-05-2018, 05:38 AM   #28
tbone

Another website post! It's a fifth entry in a sl-o-o-o-w ongoing look at Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game: Dungeon Fantasy RPG: The Notes (Part V). Give it a read for more comments on overall game organization and on what's missing from the big box o' fun.

Elsewhere, contributor uE5Xg9p2 has added more to his ongoing GURPS write-ups of fictional characters: a short look at The Tower of the Elephant from Robert E. Howard's Conan works, and a big start at a whole new property: the Gargoyles animated series. You'll find stats for main characters and for gargoyles in general, based closely on source material.

uE5Xg9p2 intends these character write-ups as an open community project; everyone's invited to comment and make suggestions. If you have an interest in the properties or just GURPS character creation in general, come and take a look!

Old 05-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #29
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post

As I muse in a comment on the 'Cats, nostalgic action cartoons is an area that remains largely untouched by GURPS' hundreds of supplements. With a bunch of cinematic rules (including free-wheeling simplifications inspired by the Action series), perhaps some fun bits from SJG's own TOON game, and a writer versed in the genre, GURPS Cartoon Action could be a fun thing...
I was unable to reply on your blog (says spam filter unavailable and unable to accept new submissions.
So Ill just post my reply here.
Actually there is at least one Pyramid article "Animating Your Life" by Kelly Pedersen in Pyramid #3/101 that addresses the HannaBarbera type.

I would love to see a full supplement like you describe though.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #30
tbone

I apologize for that comment posting problem, and really appreciate your letting me know.

(Brief explanation of cause: The popular spam monitoring system Mollom recently ended service. Thanks to your reminder, I turned off the site's reliance on Mollom, and commenting is working again. Now, it'll be amusing to see how much spam comes flooding in before I get another blocking system in place...)

The article you mention is right on the money for funny cartoon gaming; thanks! (I hadn't properly checked out that issue of Pyramid yet.) Perfect. Some of those abilities could be adapted to comedian bards or other comic characters too, in the right (or oh-so-wrong) sort of DF game.

Now, if any Saturday morning-savvy person out there were to also write a good article or book on gaming action cartoons in the Thundercats, Herculoids, Jonny Quest, etc. vein, we'd have a nice GURPS take on that area of animation, too. (Could almost be an oddball addition to the Action line, I'd think.)

Tags
blog, blogs