Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Culture20

Default [Basic] Gigantism and small species

Rather than commit thread necromancy, I’ll post a link to a marginally relevant thread: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=1738

On to my main question/quibble: I’m going to be playing a fairy with gigantism (SM -5 instead of -6). My biggest issue is with the wording of the Gigantism disadvantage, which assumes any genetic giant will have a positive size modifier and is thus meets the requirements for ST/HP discounts due to size. While I would love to save a few points on extra strength for being a size level larger than the rest of my species, I think the wording in Gigantism is wrong since it directly contradicts the Size Modifier and Strength text.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: [Basic] Gigantism and small species

Gigantism still fits, as it implies you are unusually large for your species. A house cat that grows to be SM-1 due to some genetic fluke would be considered to have Gigantism, even though it's still a negative SM.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Basic] Gigantism and small species

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culture20 View Post
While I would love to save a few points on extra strength for being a size level larger than the rest of my species, I think the wording in Gigantism is wrong since it directly contradicts the Size Modifier and Strength text.
You're right, being SM -5 instead of -6 doesn't qualify you for any discounts on ST or HP. I would argue that the wording on Gigantism isn't wrong, as such - all the stuff speaking about discounting ST and HP is in the context of being SM +1, which in turn is in the context of talking about a human with Gigantism. I can see where it's a bit confusing, though - the last paragraph of Gigantism that talks about other races could probably stand to call out that you only get discounts to ST and HP if the SM increase takes you to SM +1 or higher.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, gigantism